Im getting a '74 pete 359 exhd

DEZLFREK

my licence plate says it
so im getting my first big rig.. wanted to share a couple of pictures of what its like now where its been sitting for the last 3 years..
2011-12-07102938.jpg

2011-12-07102803.jpg

2011-12-07102743.jpg

so it has a big cam 400 in it, the og that im getting it from has it pushed up good from what he says.. has some bigger injectors in it but he cant remember exactly. he thinks 8x .oo8. he also has a new set of injectors under the seat that are 8x.011's. he has the pump dual fed. its also this motor has a cam timing. im not sure about this but he showed me where it is.. he said he has it so at low timing its a 50 and high is 100.. anyone know about this? also it still has a ht3b on it so im going to have to change that to at least a ht60..

Good looking truck....looking forward to watching the project. Do you have a purpose for the truck, or is it just cheap enough to buy? LOL

74 Pete

Looks like a clean unit for the year. The cam timing sounds like the old Cummins MVT (mechanical variable timing) , or maybe the newer STC( step time control) If it is air actuated its MVT, if its oil actuated its STC. Either way good luck with the deal!

Nice, I like a lot , extended hood :rockwoot:

What you want to do with it?

well i have a job hauling pipe starting this coming week.. we have 150 loads going down to fresno. so if it all works out this job will more than pay for the truck. after that whatever will pay.. its got a wet kit so i can haul an end dump also. the guy im going to be doing the hauling for does a lot of dirt hualing also.
the motor must be the mvt as it is air operated.. any good to these motors. i know its worked good for the guy im getting it from.
also the truck has no front brakes so that will be one thing ill have to change fairly soon. im assuming it will be easier to just change the axle out?
thanks guys. im stoked

There's some guys that would kill for a truck in good condition with no brakes on the steer axle. Any truck built before '78 is not required to have brakes up front.

Should be roughly the same as our big Steiger's have. 855 c.i. cam fired unit injectors with the rotary pump. Pump supplies fuel timed to each cylinder but the actual injection is from the cam lobe. The timing changes depending on how you set the injectors.

I could be completely wrong but that's what it sounds like to me. Also looks nice I'm an big hood IH guy but those old Pete's are timeless.

Last edited:
That's a great looking truck! Wish I could find a local truck like that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a slick looking truck, looks like it will be fun to have. I have to wonder what the wieght fee will be in california for that truck. I wouldnt run a end dump those things like to tip over way to easy. Also thank you for that smiths number I need to talk to him this next week so he can work up a price on a rifle.

There's some guys that would kill for a truck in good condition with no brakes on the steer axle. Any truck built before '78 is not required to have brakes up front.

just out of curiousity why would anyone want to not have front breaks?
as far as the motor its a pt pump. yes they are cam operated injectors.
the wieght fee's are around 200 a month in ca.

have you been through all the brakes, steering, and suspension to make sure it is top notch. does it have a jake brake, it looks good

just out of curiousity why would anyone want to not have front breaks?
as far as the motor its a pt pump. yes they are cam operated injectors.
the wieght fee's are around 200 a month in ca.

Steer tires won't slide in bad or rainy weather. For example newer trucks won't apply steer axle brakes unless your above 60psi braking pressure. What happens is when your that high in pressure the brakes really grab and there's not enough down pressure on the axle even if your loaded to prevent them from sliding in a fast stop.

Back