In light of recent events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got the impression he was referring to the frame attachments being there.he mentioned floor plates and i assumed it would be bolted throught the floor to mounts welded to the frame...

That's exactly what I was thinking. The frame mounts would still be there Greg just like your cage....just a pair of 5X5 (or whatever size) plates sandwiching the floor. ...with 4 5/8" Grade 8 bolts ?
Again...just thinking out loud.

Guy's.........

You need to remember, bolt in cages/rollbars are not NHRA legal for our trucks!! Only unibody cars. Whenever the cab is seperate from the frame, the cage/rollbar MUST be mounted to the frame, not the cab.

Sure, bolted to the frame, but make the "separated part" about 8"s up from the frame, though the body. Enough to fold the seat down. kinda like putting on extensions on a vacuum hose. with 2 or 3 bolts.

Rich,

The plates (min. 6"x6"x1/8") can not "sandwich" the cab floor! They have to bolt directly together.

Hold on...........I'll go take a shot of mine with the bar out and you can see:Cheer:

If you cut the hole in the body and mounted the 6x6x 1/8" plate flush with the floor with a 1/8" gap around the plate you would be fine. Fill the gap with silicone and it would allow the body flex without all the noise coming through. This way you could bolt the cage in place for racing and remove it for daily driving. Most of the guys take the rear seat out at the track so having the plates under the seat would be no big deal. The plate for the main halo could also bolt in the same way just behind the front seat. Cut the carpet on three side and some Velcro and your set. Flip the carpet back in place when your done and the Velcro holds it in place and most people would never know it was there.

i say screw it, let them run what they want, you want to be safe, thats fine, if you want to run a stock bodied truck 9 seconds with no safety stuff, let them, just make them sign a safety waiver.......

i am tired of all the bickering crap in motorsports, i had to listen to it for over 5 years in dirt track racing as a tech inspector then for the last 4 years in truck pulling.......

Last edited:
Here

Attachments

• DSC00246.JPG
    DSC00246.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00248.JPG
    DSC00248.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00249.JPG
    DSC00249.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 63
If folks feel so strongly about the roll bar and cage issue. Lets get the ball rolling and have the newly minted rules be implemented for the TS Outlaw event in April. I mentioned the TS event because that would give everyone over a month to prepare and it's foremost on everyones mind.

Lets start with 11.49 trucks and above. Any truck running from 11.49 to 12.50 should have a cage and 12.50-13.5 have a roll bar. No one will be allowed to participate otherwise.

I left out the sub 11.49 class because I assume they already have the proper safety gear in place.

This rule change for an Outlaw event might be a good case study to see how it might impact diesel drag racing as a whole. We'll see just how dedicated the racers who daily drive their trucks really are... Get to welding boys and girls.

No disrespect to Dennis or Shelia or anyone involved with the TS organization or the upcoming event.

This is supposed to be a discussion on what is the best safety equipment per times ran. It's the faster trucks that need to acess their safety equipment.

Beech Bend Raceway park will be doing the tech for the TS Outlaw Event. They go by NHRA rules.

I am sure you meant no disrespect, and there was none taken.

Sheila

Last edited:
i say screw it, let them run what they want, you want to be safe, thats fine, if you want to run a stock bodied truck 9 seconds with no safety stuff, let them, just make them sign a safety waiver.......

i am tired of all the bickering crap in motorsports, i had to listen to it for over 5 years in dirt track racing as a tech inspector then for the last 4 years in truck pulling.......

I dont understand why anyone would not want to know how things things are going to hold up in the event of an accident on the track. All we have to go by is mathematical equations. I can understand debating nitrous vs all motor or which racing tires are the best. I just dont understand debating the safety equipment that can save your life.

Sheila

I thank that part of being a good smart racer is using good judgement. If your truck should have a roll bar or a cage good common sense should tell you to put it in. Only a dumb ass would race a truck at the speeds we do and not have something. I am very fond of my wifes husband and good sense told me to get a cage put in to keep him safe.
Will the roll cage save my life? I hope I never have to find out but I like my chances a lot better.
I saw with my own two eyes Gary's wreck and I am happy with my decision to put the cage in. I thank anyone who saw it will agree that having the cage was a factor in the out come of Gary's wreck. Without a cage who knows.
If you should have a cage (and you know who you are) do the smart thing.

I thought it was an open forum and I was allowed to post in any topic.

My bad dude I should have used the SmilesLOL. Just going on with and the East vs. west comment. It is an open forum and I apologize for not being clear I was joking around.

Dennis

i think you guys are jumping the gun a little the rules might not even change at all. the thing that seems to be the growing concern are the commonrail trucks dodge and chevrolet because the tuning of these trucks has become so advanced in such a short time and you can make stupid hp with nitrous in a full bodied truck weighing 6500 to 8500 lbs when you approach 1000hp in a truck that weighs that much and is that high off the ground you have to wonder is this safe should we slow down or if i want to go this fast should i build something more suitable for the power level. just because your truck will register 120mph doesn't mean the manufacturer intended or will garrantee your safety at that speed to think this is very stupid. we have laws in this country on speed they are to protect you and other motorists. all things can't be regulated you the driver has to have some common sense about your situation in a vehicle. if we all lived in fear all the time we probably would never leave the house. you can trip while walking and brake your leg but you don't let that keep you from walking you pay attention to where your going and try to be careful as possible. drag racing is not a sport for the fearful you are defing odds every time you make a pass making a machine perform better than it was originally designed will sometimes get you in trouble. hope for the best but prepare for the worst is a good philosophy in any motorsport. i have confidence in my ability to pull off a run down the track or i would not do it but i'm still respectfull and sometimes affraid of the unknown which keeps my ego in check. we are all capable of a mistake in any thing we do but in racing there are so many elements that are not in your control or your expertise. you depend upon the track team to prep the track to be able to make a pass on a good surface. you also trust the person you are racing to certain degree to be able to maintain controll of his or her vehicle in a run down the track. safety is the most important thing all the sanctioned bodies in diesel motorsports should be concerned with why not have a set of rules we are proud of and that have a track record that have had no injuries or deaths despite the few accidents we have had. you think rules will kill diesel motorsports let somebody die because lack of rules or enforcement of the rules then you will see rules that will kill diesel motrosports. comply with the rules that exist or go above if you so desire there are people in place with the knowledge to address this issue in due time that will be precise and with explanation and good for the sports.

Last edited:
Darren, I couldn't agree more, and have said it many times. We as a group are going to be much better of defining a set of rules that work for us before someone gets hurt badly or killed, than waiting until that time and having rules that make no sense impossed upon us by folks that don't have a clue about these trucks, or engines.

you know gary's truck is really confirmation that the rules we currently have in place for prostreet work that's a rule success not a failure.

That is true, but wasn't his built above the current requirements? Good on him for having the fore site.

I thank that part of being a good smart racer is using good judgement. If your truck should have a roll bar or a cage good common sense should tell you to put it in. Only a dumb ass would race a truck at the speeds we do and not have something. I am very fond of my wifes husband and good sense told me to get a cage put in to keep him safe.
Will the roll cage save my life? I hope I never have to find out but I like my chances a lot better.
I saw with my own two eyes Gary's wreck and I am happy with my decision to put the cage in. I thank anyone who saw it will agree that having the cage was a factor in the out come of Gary's wreck. Without a cage who knows.
If you should have a cage (and you know who you are) do the smart thing.

:clap::clap: I think you said it better than I've been trying to say it.

you know gary's truck is really confirmation that the rules we currently have in place for prostreet work that's a rule success not a failure.

Exactly, I don't see why it should cause a debate, use what was learned and apply it.

That is true, but wasn't his built above the current requirements? Good on him for having the fore site.

in some areas yes but there were some things that needed redoing to meet current rules on cage to frame attachment and gary knew this but it was enough obviously there is a spot on the cab where it rolled on the passenger side that it crushed the door down and the cab which busted the winshield in the front and the door but the rollcage kept the cab in tact structurally to not bust the back windshield which is still factory glass. the cage did its job protecting the driver compartment. from the inside looking out you would never know the truck had an accindent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back