In light of recent events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
McRat you have been asked several times to please create another thread for your discussion. :bang:bang Here we are talking about the safety of 11.50 and faster trucks.

This is not a place to discuss how to keep the trucks from crashing, comparing racing to street driving, or ways to protect the spectators.

Lets get this thread on track and try to make progress for those wanting to actually discuss safety equipment.

you want to know why they dont want a cage, cause they all got this B.S. "street" truck mentality, just like alot of the sled pullers, there is nothing street about those trucks except the tires, 90% of those trucks come in a trailer and leave in a trailer.....they want to "gain" respect from the all the "cool" kids and say, well my truck is 100% street......get over the macho bull**** and get safe or your gonna die.....its simple as that, i seen what crappy work gets you, severely hurt, take it from someone that has pulled people from burning racecars and loaded injured racers onto stretchers, ive seen fire suits melted to people legs cause some thought it would be easier to rig a oil line up than do it right.....

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Yup, Lingenfelter died at Pomona in a very safe 4-cyl racecar that weighed very little. One of the safest tracks, next to NHRA headquarters, surrounded by the best hospitals in the world.
it was a low 7 second , high 6 second ride

John was a comp racer and a friend of mine, and it was a sad day when he passed. I tighten my belts extra tight, and wear my safety gear, even in Project X, in memory of him and a few others. But John went down the track with out a Hans device that day, and would have lived but for a medical mistake in one of many surgeries where the antitheist screwed up.

Ok here is my two cents,
First, the diesel engine is easy to make incredible amounts of reliably power , when compared to a similar gas powered racer. This leads to the ability of a street racer driving in the gate and tuning up , adding a jet or two of nitrous and running down close to 10 second passes . I feel that the most dangerous ride I have ever driven is Project X and that includes passes in Pro Stock at over 200 mph.

I am just as guilty of feeling secure in this truck with the air conditioner running and ripping off 129 mph passes at will, with traction and a little time 10 seconds is well with in reach.
So here is what I would think a prudent route ,

Crank Centerlines on any thing faster then 12.50 must be looked at. Well you say that excludes the street guy, well if the street guy wants to race and be safe, this is what must be done
Big tires, same
Any racer over 4750 which is the current maximum weight for a Chassis tag to run faster the 9.99 should adhere to these new rules

At 12.50 I think the current 11.50 NHRA/IHRA rules should be in play, a 6 point roll bar . 2 inch X .119 tube , or .083 CM . The weight savings of CM is not really worth it , in this heavy of a truck.
At 11.50 the 10.50 rules should apply, and at 10.50 the NHRA 9.99 rules should kick in to effect, if this is to strict, then get you weight down below 4750

This may sound restrictive, but there are rules coming down the track, NHRA is asking questions, I see the maximum weight issue being enforced in the near future , 4750 for a truck that wants to run 9.99 or faster . I also so see that 4X4 is doomed to 11.50 and slower.
Remember that NHRA/IHRA own the tracks, or the license of the tracks. If the ASO ventures out on their own, and this is assuming that the insurance company’s let them, the consequences of a fatal accident will completely kill the sport.

Picture this, god forbid a bad accident has happen, there has been a fatality. The family of the deceased is suing.

The ASO didn’t use DUE DILIGENCE in the rules, and made a variance from the major sanction body’s rules. We all know the pressure that is on them to let everyone run 37 inch tires, a lifted 4X4. Moreover, this truck has the power to really run.

Wow a mega cab dually in the 10’s the crowd goes wild. This truck is really ripping them off. Now it’s out of shape, in to the other 12 second truck, it’s ugly. The truck then climbs the wall, and thru the chain link fence. Well, it’s too bad, to even think about

David or Randy, along with their respective partners are up on the witness stand. The plaintiff’s attorney ask then,

WHY DID YOU ALLOW THIS

Last edited:
I think the issues we need to discuss are. What can we do to make our trucks safer? What can we do to educate drivers and make sure they are capable to handle their ride? What can we do to make it safe as possible when something does go wrong?

Common sense is all that needs to apply here in your thought process. While some say they feel safe in these trucks or are capable of handling their ride, this is a one sided view. If there had been another truck to the left of Gary, they possibly would have been involved due to no fault of their own.

As someone mentioned earlier, with the advance in HP over the last couple of years, there are full size 4x4 in full street trim now running low 11's and quicker. They could also be piloted by someone that is doing this for the first time and has not one clue on how to handle the truck when something goes wrong. To make matters worse, we are heavy and tall. Nobody wants to wreck. Nobody wants to get hurt. But wrecks are going to happen, and somebody will eventually get hurt. We need to be real smart here. Not over react, but produce a calculated minimum standard we should obtain before trucks can run this fast.

Not to hurt your feelings, but it's the 2WD "race" trucks that are having the most problems, not the true street 4x4's.

Not to hurt your feelings, but it's the 2WD "race" trucks that are having the most problems, not the true street 4x4's.

Really? Cause I've seen two 4wd (one street, one pro) that ended up in the opposite lane when the truck hooked up all funky like.

Someone made a point earlier about vehicles being built safer these days. To a point, yes; crumple zones, air bags, smart seat belts, etc. But we have crappy 5 mph bumpers and no rollover standards. NHTSA is currently addressing the rollover thing.

Hey Pat I found a Job you need to apply for:

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTl9zYS3_dc[/MEDIA]

Sorry I had to, now back to the subject at hand.

Yeah, the topic of the thread was not 12 second trucks Pat... We are talking about other trucks.......... Keep it on topic. Nobody wants to kill your 12 second trucks......

I'm asking nicely.

Funny, seemed it was mentioned several times. And 91mph/100mph is a 12 second truck.

Get off the 2WD kick My truck is as safe as yours , learn to drive

I didn't say your truck wasn't safe Gene. Matter-of-fact, I've never seen you even get out of the groove and I've seen you run alot.

When a 2wd truck crewmember posts that the problem is just 4x4's, am I supposed to agree with them?

Heck, this thread is about a 91mph 2wd going completely off the track. This is the example they want to use to make everyone remove their existing rollbars or cages, and replace them with stronger and more tubing.

Pat anyone that takes you serious, need's more help than you do.

Yourr either trying to insult Gary or are actually clueless. Yes, Gary slid through the lights at 91 or whatever...but he was off the throttle well before that, hit a wall, etc. That truck has done 1/8 mile mph none of your trucks are even remotely capable of.
Get your facts straight and your blinders off or please refrain from
posting in this thread. You are skewing the facts to fit your persanal agenda...and screwi g up this thread in the process.

there's so much talk about roll bars here... no one seems to be wanting to talk about all the other safety factors that could play a part in staying safe.

I don't know that this was the case at all but, I saw it mentioned somewhere.....

Tire pressure. In Gary's case... could there have not been enough air in the tire ? Once the lock up was hit at 120psi... the torque was obviously tremendous at the rear wheels causing them to wrinkle... which in turn threw the truck sideways ? Maybe had there been a little more air they wouldn't have gave as much and left the truck with better traction ?

Should there in a minimum tire pressure regulation ? I could be way off in coco land with this but, it was a thought.

I have a crewcab GMC that i am debating taking into the 10's. what should i run for safety equipment that would satisfy the most conservative people involved in this thread? this is a serious question, because i don't want to do it twice and would like to know how far to go. I lean more towards existing nhra rules. thanks

Kelly

I have a crewcab GMC that i am debating taking into the 10's. what should i run for safety equipment that would satisfy the most conservative people involved in this thread? this is a serious question, because i don't want to do it twice and would like to know how far to go. I lean more towards existing nhra rules. thanks

Kelly

If it were me, I would have a Cage in it. Some feel okay with a bar, and that is fine too, but I like the idea of the extra protection in the event the truck winds up on it's lid.

there's so much talk about roll bars here... no one seems to be wanting to talk about all the other safety factors that could play a part in staying safe.

I don't know that this was the case at all but, I saw it mentioned somewhere.....

Tire pressure. In Gary's case... could there have not been enough air in the tire ? Once the lock up was hit at 120psi... the torque was obviously tremendous at the rear wheels causing them to wrinkle... which in turn threw the truck sideways ? Maybe had there been a little more air they wouldn't have gave as much and left the truck with better traction ?

Should there in a minimum tire pressure regulation ? I could be way off in coco land with this but, it was a thought.

tire press is set according to mfr spec and traction and conditions..now you want em to set my tire press

you guys are really killin this. adopt nhra rules and when they fail ya then update em..same as they do..or ask them for some advice

Hey Pat, I got one for you. Assuming you continue your current trend in the white truck of getting quicker, will you cage it when you pop a 9 or will you slow it down?

tire press is set according to mfr spec and traction and conditions..now you want em to set my tire press

you guys are really killin this. adopt nhra rules and when they fail ya then update em..same as they do..or ask them for some advice

It was just a thought. Maybe not to be a rule but, to have in mind as a safety concern. I know everyone doesn't look at the specs as a standard. Conditions play a big part too but, with the way these trucks run it a be playing a part in control ???

I think we have to address to points here for safety sake. Can the truck make a reasonably safe and straight pass down the strip barring any incidents without getting squirrely. If not, it should be fixed before it is allowed to run. Once that is out of the way we can discuss how to make the truck safer in case something unforseen does happen. A proper cage will probably save the drivers life in case of accident but it will not keep it from going through or over a wall and it will not protect bystanders.
We need higher walls for these trucks.

I think we have to address to points here for safety sake. Can the truck make a reasonably safe and straight pass down the strip barring any incidents without getting squirrely. If not, it should be fixed before it is allowed to run. Once that is out of the way we can discuss how to make the truck safer in case something unforseen does happen. A proper cage will probably save the drivers life in case of accident but it will not keep it from going through or over a wall and it will not protect bystanders.
We need higher walls for these trucks.

Thank you for addressing the matter at hand Mike. Generally speaking, the trucks get down the track fine, but tires crap out, fluid gets on the track, freeze plugs blow and headgaskets fail.... that is the unforseen stuff that should be addressed before hand.

I agree about the wall thing. Another thing to keep in mind is wall construction too. The wall that Gary hit turned into a "Dukes of Hazzard" Ramp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back