In light of recent events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mike l - what truck do you run? i find it hard to believe you're in a position to say something so rude.

Gary, with all due respect, this was too much truck for you.

I ask because I really don't know...but how quick is your truck ? How many 9 or 10 second passes have you made ?
Just curious.

And before anyone asks...my fastest pass ever in anything on 4 wheels is an 8.63 @ 165 in the 1/4.

Mike, I beg to differ. I have as much capability as anyone running the setup I had. I did'nt have a lot of passes on this setup, so yea it was new to me. I drove the truck to a 7.01 @ 108 mph with leaf springs and ladder bar's spinning the whole 1/8 th mile and NEVER let it get out of shape. So, yes I can drive a truck like this. The track condition at best was ****ty, sand and leaves blowing on the track. Now I did'nt come here to get any sympathy, I'm merely giving you something to look at. Telling you as much as I can so noone else make's the same mistake. And Mike, I'm really surprised a man of your reputation would go out in a public forum and say something like this. Not that it matter's, but you don't know me, and you don't have a clue as to my driving skills. If this is the way this thread is going to continue, then I'm really done. Best of luck to all, and I hope you never post up anything to help like I did and get your ass handed to you. Kind of make's me sick for some of the comment's on here. I WILL be back in a different truck, so don't count me out just yet. Gary

:clap:

I thought I put this in a nice way. I was not rude. You guys can blast me all you want. My truck is capable of 13.0 and that's all I want. I don't drive very fast trucks because I don't think I am qualified to do so on the track. Our race truck will run 9's and will have a driver capable of handling it and it won't be me. I don't know that I would have reacted any different in Gary's truck and that's why I don't drive them. I saw what I saw and will stand by my comment. There was no offense stated or inferred.

if you're not qualified to do it yourself then your not qualified to make a comment such as that.

if you're not qualified to do it yourself then your not qualified to make a comment such as that.

BULL CHIT.

Not all engineers of technology have been a pilot/driver.

NASA, F1, and Top Fuel engineers are among the many that would like to have a word with you.

Matt, your numbers are a bit skewed.
My math shows a 161mph, 4750 lbs to come out at 132,415,470.3 lb-ft. Your post above states 1,300,000,000 lb-ft. Your off about 1.1+ billion!!

And your example of an 8000 lb truck at 123 mph comes out to 260,329,612.1 lb-ft.

Not sure if this error is translated to the spread sheet you posted. Please check your math.

And as I posted above, the KE is not a direct correlation to roll over forces.

I was off by 10 in the numbers I typed in the text - think I was cross-eyed. Sorry for the improper quotation - brain fade.

The spreadsheet and chart are correct, however. 1.31 x 10^8 is 131,000,000 lb-ft, not 10x that.

I know that the KE numbers don't correlate exactly to cage strength requirements - relative vehicle strength, component weights, etc all factor into it. I'd tried to put another post up saying that it shouldn't be taken as gospel, but for comparison - think it got lost, the board was working weird for me that night.

They're (relative KE values) still a good reference when it comes to looking at, say, side or roof intrusion vs. a solid object / ground collision. Heavier vehicles at the same speed need more strength to resist critical damage.

Matt, your numbers are a bit skewed.
My math shows a 161mph, 4750 lbs to come out at 132,415,470.3 lb-ft. Your post above states 1,300,000,000 lb-ft. Your off about 1.1+ billion!!

And your example of an 8000 lb truck at 123 mph comes out to 260,329,612.1 lb-ft.

Doublechecking 8000 lbs @ 123 MPH:
123 MPH = 180.4 ft / s; 180.4 ^ 2 = 32544.16 ft^2 / s^2
1/2 x 8000 = 4000 lbs

4000 x 32544.16 = 130,176,640 lb ft^2 / s^2

Not sure if this error is translated to the spread sheet you posted. Please check your math.

That calc is right. Did you remember 1/2 x mass?

Like a couple of other guys have said - it's easy to think that, because it's gotten so much easier to make these heavy rigs run so fast, that it's safe. All that weight has to get slowed down still when you run into something - and compared to the frame, engine, axles, etc., the sheetmetal of a one ton truck cab isn't that sturdy.

Not being an alarmist, or anything like that. Just trying to give some perspective to chew on. ;)

Sorry I must have misinterpeted seeing the wheels turn to the right after the truck hit the left railing and stay right with no correction. When truck came across the track the throttle was layed into when he went through the right side railing. Did I see it wrong? Besides being knocked sensless, not being strapped in properly, or panic; what else causes you to hit throttle just before you go through a barrier? As far as the wheels pointing right without correction, steering might have been damaged so i won't get into that.

So BIGPOWR, educate me in my error and tell me where you think I went wrong. Once again I am not commenting here to pick on Gary. This is a very good educational video to learn from and make us think more about the others that may get hurt, not just the driver.

Sorry I must have misinterpeted seeing the wheels turn to the right after the truck hit the left railing and stay right with no correction. When truck came across the track the throttle was layed into when he went through the right side railing. Did I see it wrong? Besides being knocked sensless, not being strapped in properly, or panic; what else causes you to hit throttle just before you go through a barrier? As far as the wheels pointing right without correction, steering might have been damaged so i won't get into that.

So BIGPOWR, educate me in my error and tell me where you think I went wrong. Once again I am not commenting here to pick on Gary. This is a very good educational video to learn from and make us think more about the others that may get hurt, not just the driver.

If you follow the video closely you will see the wheels were turned to the right (trying to correct) prior to it ever hitting the guard rail not after! The right side of the truck went airborne when it hit and continued to lift the front end off the track as it crossed the track, bouncing to the other side where it went through the guard rail. All this took less than 2 seconds and with the front end bouncing its pretty damn easy for your foot to hit the throttle when it comes back down. The smoke would start a little after the foot hit the throttle as it takes sometime for it to get through the engine and exhaust. Once it hit the other guard rail your foot again would be push to the floor! I would say after the first bounce (on the guard rail) into the air Gary was pretty much along for the ride.

That's what I've been trying to get at for a bit now.. Good luck with that :)

Once again I am not commenting here to pick on Gary.
Really? Because this...
Gary, with all due respect, this was too much truck for you.
certainly seems like you are. Who are you to tell him it's too much vehicle for him? Do you know Gary's history when it comes to racing? For all you know he can have the same history you do... Do you know Gary personally to be able to make such a callous remark?

If you are to be believed when you say your not doing this to pick on Gary, maybe you shouldn't be so condescending next time? Just a thought... :doh:

Last edited:
Really? Because this...

certainly seems like you are. Who are you to tell him it's too much vehicle for him? Do you know Gary's history when it comes to racing? For all you know he can have the same history you do... Do you know Gary personally to be able to make such a callous remark?

If you are to be believed when you say your not doing this to pick on Gary, maybe you shouldn't be so condescending next time? Just a thought... :doh:

:clap::clap::clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back