In light of recent events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds like we should head all the way west for the same thing and worse

you dont have the skills to run with the west coast...apparently your lil underpowered s-10 wouldn't be able to handle it, nor could you drive it anyway, amateur!

LOL

:rockwoot: rock on quarterman, cant wait to see you run this year

Amen to the math. You can not buck physics.
Here is a difference I think allot of the "don't go crazy with the rules" folks are missing.
Sure driving our nations highways statistically is more dangerous than drag racing.
However, you go to the race track to push the limits of you and your equipment. In essence, asking for a crash. You are going to be held accountable for your safety regardless of track conditions.
My opinion on roll bar and cages has them in trucks running in the 13.00 area, and I know thats rough to take.
Some of you may feel that your 2500 or 3500 chassis is a tank, but I assure you it is not. You can not fool mother nature.
You know what else sucks? Fire. Blown head gaskets and turbos like to create fires and some times shrapnel especially with the use of the drugs. Blankets should be mandatory. And what about shields on the down pipe. ??? I'd rather roll twenty times with a good cage than have my engine compartment burst into flames.

you dont have the skills to run with the west coast...apparently your lil underpowered s-10 wouldn't be able to handle it, nor could you drive it anyway, amateur!

LOL

:rockwoot: rock on quarterman, cant wait to see you run this year

Why are you having input on this topic? Aren't you a Sled Puller this topic is on drag racing.

Dennis

On another note... we usually take six trucks to the track to race. Only one has a roll cage ( our pro street truck). We didnt want to cage the others because they are also daily drivers. That's why those trucks are ran in ET brackets.

Sheila

Just a quick question do you guys plan on putting roll cages in your trucks that run 12's now that are daily drivers? I know we will not, as there times I need to put 3 kids in the back and there are no way to make a legal cage or bar and keep the back seat.

Just a quick question do you guys plan on putting roll cages in your trucks that run 12's now that are daily drivers? I know we will not, as there times I need to put 3 kids in the back and there are no way to make a legal cage or bar and keep the back seat.

If that is what the rules call for then I guess that's when we would decide if we want to race them or not. Our bracket trucks sit in the shop 95% of the time, but can still be daily driven if we want to. I personnally drive an 08 Jeep Sahara Wrangler on a daily basis.

I'm for keeping my drivers safe. Our race team is like my family and their Safety is the #1 priority as I am sure it is with your race team.

Sheila

Last edited:
I will slow down at the track before I put a cage in my daily driver. I do not want anyones head smaking a cage in a street accident.

Slowing down is fine with me, I'm all about the racing part of it, not how fast I can go. Sure it's fun going fast, and I haven't felt out of control before, but I know there are things that we cannot control.

Guess we really need to look at the street trucks that get some track time, this is the grey area that needs attention. I'll follow the rules because I want to race, what ever they may end up being. I'll do that by slowing down and not putting a cage in a street truck.

If I build a race truck it will surely be overbuilt from current NHRA standards.

I really can't believe everyone is arguing about this? These trucks are heavier which equals more force. They have a higher center of Gravity which equal a greater chance of jumping the wall.

We all know, if we want to admit it or not, that these trucks need more protection that a 3000# car.

While I also agree we need to know what causes the accident, let's put our priority first on protecting the driver, our friends/family!

I say overbuild until shown we need less...

Go right ahead and overbuild if you want. the rules are fine the way the are. If people are scared, don't run in the faster classes. can't believe how many people want to make things more difficult.

Go right ahead and overbuild if you want. the rules are fine the way the are. If people are scared, don't run in the faster classes. can't believe how many people want to make things more difficult.

Your statement is fine unless something happens to you on the track leaving your family members with the burdon of your care for the rest of your life. Not cool IMO but you do as you please.

Dennis

I'm not scared, I just don't see a need to take chances that are beyond those necessary. I can't believe how many folks think it has to do with running in a faster class. :doh:

I will slow down at the track before I put a cage in my daily driver. I do not want anyones head smaking a cage in a street accident.

Slowing down is fine with me, I'm all about the racing part of it, not how fast I can go. Sure it's fun going fast, and I haven't felt out of control before, but I know there are things that we cannot control.

Guess we really need to look at the street trucks that get some track time, this is the grey area that needs attention. I'll follow the rules because I want to race, what ever they may end up being. I'll do that by slowing down and not putting a cage in a street truck.

If I build a race truck it will surely be overbuilt from current NHRA standards.

This is very well said! We all need to have this kind of attitude:

1.Willing to make safety #1
2.Willing to comply to rules
3.Willing to slow down if you dont like 1&2

Kat,

Just a quick question for you and think long and hard before you answer..

Your driving Casper and your on one of your 10.60 runs and a tire blows or there is a malfunction somewhere on that truck. Now picture the video of Gary hitting the wall and flipping over on the hood. Now picture that happening to you in Casper. Do you think that Roll Bar will save your life? Is that a chance you want to take?

Caged Fury never had a roll bar. It went straight to S&S Roll cage here in Kentucky and had a complete roll cage installed. The same company installed Garys (Wrongway). At that time Caged Fury driver Kevin Meredith was 19 years old. I want to know in my heart and mind if heaven forbid something happened to him while in that truck we took every safety precaution necessary. SAFETY is the #1 concern of our team.

Alot of these guys and (gals) think they are invincible, but need to stop and think about the safety aspect of this sport.

Sheila

Let me add this to the above post...

How do you know you would be ok at those speeds with just a roll bar per the weight of your truck. Answer? No one knows. That's why this thread was started. Are we going to have to wait til someone flips a 10 second truck going 120+ mph with only a roll bar and see what happens??

Sheila

Its kind of like a bullet proof vest. Your probably never going to get shot at as a cop, but you sure as hell would want to have it if someone did.

I put extra padding on the 6-point rollbar on my previously daily-driven mid-11 second car, to make sure any passengers are protected as well (no back seat). Now that I've dug that car out of the mothballs, I'm trying to figure out how to rig up child seat anchor points, so I can drop my daughter off at school on my way to the track.

One other point (which I've made before in other threads but it's worth repeating): You would be amazed at how far your body parts will stretch in an impact. When I crashed my low-9-second car, my helmet tagged an unpadded diagonal crossmember. It was several inches past the point that I could statically stretch the harness and my neck. Padding is cheap, but also keep this in mind when placing rollcage components. Another thing - window nets. They are only required if you run fast enough to require a cage, but they do wonders for keeping arms within the protection of the cage.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Not too interupt, but I imagine sliding through the grass on the roof rather than rolling. I want the roof to stay where it's at. The more room in the cab for me the better. At least 6000 lbs pounds upside down, with me on the down side. Scarey.
I think it only make sense to put saftey first. The fact that the folks at TS want to keep their people safe is just plane common sense.

acording to NHS crash test the truck would go through wiht flying colors...

a 4 star forntal is MUCH worse than what gary got on the truck!.

shear weight of the truck mostlike safed him more than anything else. say he and been 20-30% lighter he might not have gone through the rail. but reicheted down the track. causeing more damage to him and the truck.

with exception of thr front lower A pillars nothing really impacted the imediate rollcage area.. thought i am sure it did help in stregnthing the frame hence ther is little bent mettal in the area compared to the rest of the truck..

bottom line weight saves lives period. makeing a Ladder bar frame stronger/ridgid is deff a good idea...i am not saying that the rollbar/cage didint do anything far from it. but to say it need to be bigger/thicker... as a standard..... if going off the handle.

NHRA/IRA rule are more than adequate. and will follow them.

IMO slicks should have complemting tires up front. period as well. having a nice stiff responsive tire up fornt and loose unresponsive tires out back is asking for trouble!!

If folks feel so strongly about the roll bar and cage issue. Lets get the ball rolling and have the newly minted rules be implemented for the TS Outlaw event in April. I mentioned the TS event because that would give everyone over a month to prepare and it's foremost on everyones mind.

Lets start with 11.49 trucks and above. Any truck running from 11.49 to 12.50 should have a cage and 12.50-13.5 have a roll bar. No one will be allowed to participate otherwise.

I left out the sub 11.49 class because I assume they already have the proper safety gear in place.

This rule change for an Outlaw event might be a good case study to see how it might impact diesel drag racing as a whole. We'll see just how dedicated the racers who daily drive their trucks really are... Get to welding boys and girls.

No disrespect to Dennis or Shelia or anyone involved with the TS organization or the upcoming event.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back