In light of recent events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO slicks should have complemting tires up front. period as well. having a nice stiff responsive tire up fornt and loose unresponsive tires out back is asking for trouble!!

used to hear/argue this point when i raced my lightning. there were all kinds of guys who were running L's and cobras with 17-18" street radials up front with slicks in the rear. everyone used to say that slicks should be run with skinnies or equivalent soft tires up front because a stiff responsive tire up front and an unstable slick in the rear was bad news if wheel hop got the rear out of shape.

i dunno, just what I have heard alot from 4 years ago, but I am just a dumb sled puller so I dunno a whole lot.

shorten the races from 1/4 mile to an 1/8th...........reduce the kinetic energy gained in the second 1/8 mile..........use common sense...........sometimes we are all a little short of it........Im not a puller or a regular racer just a stupid contractor.

Let just do keyboard racing, the kinetic energy pounding on the keyboard would only impact those who don't keep their fingernails trimmed back.

used to hear/argue this point when i raced my lightning. there were all kinds of guys who were running L's and cobras with 17-18" street radials up front with slicks in the rear. everyone used to say that slicks should be run with skinnies or equivalent soft tires up front because a stiff responsive tire up front and an unstable slick in the rear was bad news if wheel hop got the rear out of shape.
i dunno, just what I have heard alot from 4 years ago, but I am just a dumb sled puller so I dunno a whole lot.

excatly not to mention is the rear CANNOT responable trac the front you are inducing a roll over period

ie a nice low pro file tire up fornt and a high profile tire out back...

shorten the races from 1/4 mile to an 1/8th...........reduce the kinetic energy gained in the second 1/8 mile..........use common sense...........sometimes we are all a little short of it........Im not a puller or a regular racer just a stupid contractor.

Or how about a 1/16th mile race..... that sounds very safe and oh so fun.. :bang

How about get this back on track ?

Read post #1 if you need some direction.

If folks feel so strongly about the roll bar and cage issue. Lets get the ball rolling and have the newly minted rules be implemented for the TS Outlaw event in April. I mentioned the TS event because that would give everyone over a month to prepare and it's foremost on everyones mind.

Lets start with 11.49 trucks and above. Any truck running from 11.49 to 12.50 should have a cage and 12.50-13.5 have a roll bar. No one will be allowed to participate otherwise.

I left out the sub 11.49 class because I assume they already have the proper safety gear in place.

This rule change for an Outlaw event might be a good case study to see how it might impact diesel drag racing as a whole. We'll see just how dedicated the racers who daily drive their trucks really are... Get to welding boys and girls.

No disrespect to Dennis or Shelia or anyone involved with the TS organization or the upcoming event.
i have sat back and watched this thread from the begining.i have tried to take into consideration each person points and perspectives.and like every one else i have a slightly different opinion.on some issues and totally different on some others.saftey is a huge deal,i have never met any one at a diesel event that i didnt like talking with and spedning time with ,even the ones i seem to argue with all the time.i wouldnt want anyone to not make it back home to thier loved ones.however i am not so sure just making more safety rules are the answer, but it may be.i think people need to meet current tech regulations for the times they run.if they dont feel safe enough then by all means add more saftey till they feel safe or slow down.i am also for the safety issues as well but i find myself on the side of lets make sure we know what we are doing and how much will it handle.i will not cage my truck or install a roll bar,however i wont be going lower than 7.49 any more either.just my opinion and you know what they say...$.02

How about get this back on track ?

Read post #1 if you need some direction.

roll bars/cages are more than adequete for stated protection..there was/is nothing wrong with what the said cage and said truck.

there are other problem that need to be address!

What is the legality of bolt in roll bars ?
What I mean is a removable bar or cage for a true daily driver. I have a crew cab truck and a kid...I kinda need the back seat and I don't need her bouncing her head off a steel bar when she's in the truck.
The seat bottom folds up...so why not build the cage or bar to "spec", but have the joints bolted/pinned together and use sandwich plates at the floor with bars welded to the frame under ?
It's legal with removable door bars. Is it legal with rear bars ? Maybe it could be with the right size tubing and the right connectors ?

The main hoop could stay...just have removable bars...if that clarifies what I'm trying to say.

Just thinking out loud......

Last edited:
i was looking at cages for giggles after i posted and i can across bolt together cages and was wonering the same thing...

If folks feel so strongly about the roll bar and cage issue. Lets get the ball rolling and have the newly minted rules be implemented for the TS Outlaw event in April. I mentioned the TS event because that would give everyone over a month to prepare and it's foremost on everyones mind.

Lets start with 11.49 trucks and above. Any truck running from 11.49 to 12.50 should have a cage and 12.50-13.5 have a roll bar. No one will be allowed to participate otherwise.

I left out the sub 11.49 class because I assume they already have the proper safety gear in place.

This rule change for an Outlaw event might be a good case study to see how it might impact diesel drag racing as a whole. We'll see just how dedicated the racers who daily drive their trucks really are... Get to welding boys and girls.

No disrespect to Dennis or Shelia or anyone involved with the TS organization or the upcoming event.

Do this and you will you will destroy diesel racing, you will have no one left to race as most guys running 13's are not going to put this equipment in.

On edit: i just went and reread the first post and the topic was safety for trucks running 11.49 and quicker.

Last edited:
Guy's.........

You need to remember, bolt in cages/rollbars are not NHRA legal for our trucks!! Only unibody cars. Whenever the cab is seperate from the frame, the cage/rollbar MUST be mounted to the frame, not the cab.

i got the impression he was referring to the frame attachments being there.he mentioned floor plates and i assumed it would be bolted throught the floor to mounts welded to the frame...

What is the legality of bolt in roll bars ?
What I mean is a removable bar or cage for a true daily driver. I have a crew cab truck and a kid...I kinda need the back seat and I don't need her bouncing her head off a steel bar when she's in the truck.
The seat bottom folds up...so why not build the cage or bar to "spec", but have the joints bolted/pinned together and use sandwich plates at the floor with bars welded to the frame under ?
It's legal with removable door bars. Is it legal with rear bars ? Maybe it could be with the right size tubing and the right connectors ?

The main hoop could stay...just have removable bars...if that clarifies what I'm trying to say.

Just thinking out loud......

i hope no one hates me or think less but i kinda agree here. i drive my only truck everyday(when its not broke). A roll cage would cost me dearly and its not something i want in my everyday driver. A removable roll cage would be better than a permanent cage for me. As of now my fastest time is a 13.5, the new mods should put me in the mid 12's to upper 12's. I know you have to pay to play but the only time i pay is when the truck breaks and I HAVE to fix it (being my only driver). im all about safety but i think you should meet the requirements as of now and if you wanna go above and beyond, more power to ya. I definately think you should be tech'd harder for the safety of others! driveshaft loops, tire condition and ratings, and other suspension parts that are more likely to fail and cause harm to the INNOCENT guy next to you or even on the otherside of the fence. I know Garys accident was a eye opener (specially the really fast trucks) but i kinda lean towards race at your own risk (on the inside of your truck) but make sure you are safe on the outside. If that makes any sense?

i got the impression he was referring to the frame attachments being there.he mentioned floor plates and i assumed it would be bolted throught the floor to mounts welded to the frame...

Jess,

Unless you are ready for alot of new noises and creaks, it's not a very good idea to ultimatly end up hard mounting the cab to the chassis. Our trucks cabs are designed to "float" on the chassis via isolators, not be bolted directly to it.:poke:

If you were to have mounts to the frame that came through the floor and then connection plates, that's fine.....BUT...those plates need to be a min. of 6"x6"!! They would actually cause more interference than just having the tube go through the floor and having swing out/removable side bars.

ON EDIT:

I have been driving my truck around getting the bugs out of it with the ide bar completely removed. Except for having to remember the lower connection point is there when I get in and out, you wouldn't even know the rollbar is there.

Last edited:
Bolt in roll bars move along with body panels in most cases. Not very safe.
I think that if roll bars are required in 12 sec truck we will kill the sport. Nobody will do it and racing will begin on the streets.
Some of the guys building these monster trucks need some engineering input on chasis design before they put these trucks together and unleash them on the strip not knowing what will happen. Most of you guys here are Dodge guys and we all know what the Cummins is capable of when built; ungodly power and tq. Put this beast in a 1/2 ton chasis that was not totaly thought out and possibly did not have proper tires or air pressure,bad things can happen. Any of us that have driven some of the killer Dodges know when the converter locks on a well built Cummins it's come to Jesus time, don't go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back