in the middle of swap help needed

blackcoal

So I worked on my pump swap this weekend and Im getting there except I have ran into 2 problems.

1st. Is the oil line I have is to short to go from the T fitting on the block up to the inlet on the pump (block side)

So i think i will just feed it on the outside and put a plug on the inside one, i ordered the fitting with the reducer to feed it from the outside. Do any of you guys know how long of line i will need? Is steel braded line really needed? Would rubber hose with hose clamps and the right barbs work? The engine oil psi is what? 50-80psi normally? would rubber hold up?

2nd. How are you guys tightening the inside bottom bolt where the pump bolts to the timming case? I cut a slit in the head where everyone says to, and from pics i have seen. But there is no way i can get to the stud to put the nut on and get it started. I tried getting a long extension and getting to it from the back of the pump, but there isnt enough room between the pump and the block?

Thanks for the help guys, any tips would be great

No need for braided line other than for looks. I wouldn't go for hose clamps and barb fittings, though. I go to a hydraulic shop and get a line made up. You should be able to measure it up easily enough.

When I first did the conversion, I cut up a gear wrench to get enough sweep to get it to click to tighten the bottom nut. If your oil line is on the outside of the pump, you should be able to get a socket/u-joint/extension/ratchet setup in there. When I installed my 13mm pump, I gave up on that. The stud came out, made a hell of a mess. I put two set screws in (jammed them together to keep them from backing out), and just run 3 nuts on the pump face. Not ideal, but for how much I drive it now, I'm not worried. Been fine for 2 years.

I too used the metric ton of extensions and a swivel. Worked best for me.

For that bottom nut I used a swivel with some electrical tape to stiff it up a little and used some thread sealant on the nut so it didn't fall out of the socket.
I used a 1/4" drive to get a little more room. Still a pain.
from phone

A 1/4" drive with 18" of extensions on it.

And my factory oil feed line worked fine on the outside of the pump.

The steel braided line is for fitting in tight spots. Its overall diameter is smaller than rubber and maintains equivalent pressure rating. Since you see running it on the outside it won't matter, but for sure use a hydraulic fitting pressed on the line.

So I worked on my pump swap this weekend and Im getting there except I have ran into 2 problems.

1st. Is the oil line I have is to short to go from the T fitting on the block up to the inlet on the pump (block side)

So i think i will just feed it on the outside and put a plug on the inside one, i ordered the fitting with the reducer to feed it from the outside. Do any of you guys know how long of line i will need? Is steel braded line really needed? Would rubber hose with hose clamps and the right barbs work? The engine oil psi is what? 50-80psi normally? would rubber hold up?

2nd. How are you guys tightening the inside bottom bolt where the pump bolts to the timming case? I cut a slit in the head where everyone says to, and from pics i have seen. But there is no way i can get to the stud to put the nut on and get it started. I tried getting a long extension and getting to it from the back of the pump, but there isnt enough room between the pump and the block?

Thanks for the help guys, any tips would be great
If you have both stock 12v oil lines, you can get a double male union to combine the 2 stock 12v oil lines to the other side. Their just long enough. I didn't use the tee, left the ps line hooked where it was and used oil port inline with the power steering line.

Okay will with my swap stuff i bought, i only got the T fitting and one stanless braided line. It measures about 4.5 inches long and has a 90deg on the one end. Its to short to go to the power steering pump and to short to go to the injector pump so i dont know what its for.

So to feed to the outside of the pump im guessing i will need to get a hose made with 2 90deg on it? One 90 to the top outlet on the T on the block and then another 90 to go into the fitting on the outside of the pump? and about 8 inches long, by measuring? Does that sound about right for you guys who are feeding it to the outside?

I just ordered the fitting to restrict the oil flow so waiting on that to get here.

Also it looks like it will be tight up against the power steering fluid tank with a 90 on there. Will it clear?

Ill have to get a long 1/4 extension and swivle because i have no luck with 3/8 fitting between the pump and head

Thanks for the help guys!

Okay will with my swap stuff i bought, i only got the T fitting and one stanless braided line. It measures about 4.5 inches long and has a 90deg on the one end. Its to short to go to the power steering pump and to short to go to the injector pump so i dont know what its for.

So to feed to the outside of the pump im guessing i will need to get a hose made with 2 90deg on it? One 90 to the top outlet on the T on the block and then another 90 to go into the fitting on the outside of the pump? and about 8 inches long, by measuring? Does that sound about right for you guys who are feeding it to the outside?

I just ordered the fitting to restrict the oil flow so waiting on that to get here.

Also it looks like it will be tight up against the power steering fluid tank with a 90 on there. Will it clear?

Ill have to get a long 1/4 extension and swivle because i have no luck with 3/8 fitting between the pump and head

Thanks for the help guys!
You don't have to tee into where PS gets oil. Look inline with where the ps gets oil, there are plugs prob 4 to 6 inches a part. I used the 2nd one down from the ps one, the middle of the block I think.

Back