In yet another 6.0

Swamp Star

Go big or go home
Well I sold my 02 F-250 last Thursday and had all intentions of buying a 02 F-350 dually 4x4 6-speed. That was until my buddy called me this afternoon. He told me he was ready to sell his truck so I asked him how much and after agreeing on a price I went and picked it up. It is a 04 F-550 4x4 6-speed Lariet with 140k. So far it has S&B intake, straight piped and KEM tunes. Gotta get a EGR delete on it and hook it to the gooseneck. Should make a pretty good tow rig when I get done with it.

B3C3056E-8F1D-4E2E-A6C9-A48200E8F547-946-000001A6DFDAC945_zps92c07f3e.jpg

The exact truck I want! Just put a regular bed on it and drop a cummins in.

Great looking truck.

Sharp looking truck! Remember to do the oil cooler while you're doing the egr delete.

Oh yeah. Its losing a little coolant so I have got to get the egr delete done. I'm debating on going ahead and throwing a Diesel Site pump in it.

What's the plans for it? Do you need the dieselsite pump? It's like $1k...

Pretty sweet looking truck. I would do the EGR delete, an oil cooler, all of the updated Ford high pressure oil parts, and a coolant filter.

It will be deleted and studded as well as updated. I am gonna do it like my 06 was but maybe some 180's and a powermax later on. More less i will spend a pile of money then get bored and sale it. Just like i did my 06.

LOL, I like the plan. I can't imagine it needing the dieselsite pump if you only plan to go 180 or so, but it's definitely a nice unit if you're just looking for the reliability side of things. I wish he would come out with one for the 05-07 trucks. Or maybe I should just look for the frankenstein 04.5 with the old pump and the newer oil rails.

I love the looks the super duties with alcoa wheels! Be a sweet tow rig especiall with that Allis behind it on a trailer

Do 6.0's make that good of tow vehicles? IVe been debating a 05-07 f350 just because of some of the deals ive found

Well i finally drove it today. I bought it with a blown out inner rear tire. So i had a spare for my f450 mounted today so i can drive it a little. I will say it is anything but a speed demon, about 75 is pushing it. But DAMN if it aint stout. 70mph its running 3200ish. I am debating on a gear vendors o/d after studs but i am worried about strenght. A light load on the truck will be in the 15,000lbs range.

Do 6.0's make that good of tow vehicles? IVe been debating a 05-07 f350 just because of some of the deals ive found

6.0's are tow pigs man, they love to be worked and the 5R110 is a great match for it. I love towing with mine. I use an aggressive tow tune from Innovative tune, makes it that much more controllable.

Well i finally drove it today. I bought it with a blown out inner rear tire. So i had a spare for my f450 mounted today so i can drive it a little. I will say it is anything but a speed demon, about 75 is pushing it. But DAMN if it aint stout. 70mph its running 3200ish. I am debating on a gear vendors o/d after studs but i am worried about strenght. A light load on the truck will be in the 15,000lbs range.

What gears does that have in it? 4.88's?

I havent checked yet but i would assume 4:88's or lower. Then add a 6-spped on that.

Yeah I can see why it's not a speed demon haha. Should be able to move most anything though.

I've heard the GV overdrive units are TOUGH. I don't think you'd have any problems. I believe there were some pretty high HP trucks running them at some point. I'll see if I can dig something up on them.

A little blurb I found on another forum: Gear vendors - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

Last edited:
Why not drop them back to 4:10? Seems a little simpler.

Thanks. I think it would be more cost effective to do the gear vendors than a gear swap. The parts are high and i would have to pay someone to set it up cause i am in no way a diff guy. Plus it would be nice to have a 12-speed truck.