Incredibly hard shifting, hydraulics need upgrade?

kas83

Put in a 13" Valair Con OFE last November, and it's been a great setup for me. But the shifting/getting into gear has gotten progressively worse lately. The tranny seems to be in great shape, as I can simply float the gears if clutching causes a problem. Is it possible that this setup requires the heavy duty hydraulics upgrade? Thanks for any and all help.

I put a g56 6 speed in my 98 with the hyd.up grade and can push the clutch in with my hand. big difference.

Kyle, it sounds like your tranny is just getting old/tired :(

been down this road before and going down it again on my current 98... heavier clutch on the input shaft = harder on synchros.

you'd be amazed at what fresh synchros/bearings will do...

and yes, I have the upgraded hydraulics on my 98!

my 04 NV5600 dual disk shifts better than my NV4500 FE in my 98 :(

The upgraded hyd.help release the clutch but if your synchros are bad it wont help.these NV seem to have poor synchros design as evident by the changes they made.There was a post awhile ago about not using the clutch to save on it well I had to drive from LV. to MPLS pulling a trailer with no clutch release and as hard as we tryed to not grind it would happen doesn't take much to get a burr on and cause a problem.I don't understand the logic of a heaver clutch is harder on the synchros.

a 97 won't have hydraulic problems... I ran a dual disk on stock hydraulics w/ no release problems...

the 3rd gens have a dampener on the hydraulics and upgraded hydraulics is often necessary even with a single disk

I see what you mean about the heavier clutch being harder on the synchros. I figured that the 3400 lb plate load wouldn't be enough to overwork my hydraulics, but was hoping that was the case. Anyways, how much does a synchro/bearing/seal set cost for one of these 5 speeds? And where's a good place to pick one up? Thanks.

a 97 won't have hydraulic problems... I ran a dual disk on stock hydraulics w/ no release problems...

the 3rd gens have a dampener on the hydraulics and upgraded hydraulics is often necessary even with a single disk

Would 97 hydraulics work on a 99? I have blown out the master cylinder 4x in my 99 in less then a year and am ready to go to the SB upgrade. Some other members I know on here thought they heard that you can go with the 97 master cylinder, but would I have to get the slave cylinder too? I am needing my truck in a bad way by Monday and would prefer to go with that setup for now instead of spending 3 bones on something that I could buy later when I get my money tree planted. :evil

Do you know if I can just replace the master cylinder, or do I need to replace the slave to a 97 also? :thankyou2:

not sure... Dodge and most aftermarket places sell the hydraulics as one assembly. You CAN replace cylinders, but bleeding them is a pain.

I am a pro after doing 3 of them so far.:bang Since it is under warranty, I should be able to swap the master cylinder out for free, but I don't want to put anymore money into my current set up if its going to take a dump on me in the future. Is it always the master cylinder that goes out like mine, or are the slave cylinders an issue too on the OEM replacement parts? I should really just stop being a tight a$$ and just get the SB upgrade. :evil Thanks for the info :Cheer:

I priced out the 97 hydraulics. They are only about $75 cheaper then the SB upgrade with the adjustment. I've got some calls in to order the upgrade to the first person that gets back to me. Thanks for the input :Cheer:

youd be amazed what new oil will do for them to

What type does everyone recommend? My tranny is getting rebuilt with all new synchros and bearings, and 1 3/8" input in the near future, and I want it to live as long as possible with a dual disc clutch.

i believe its a 75-90 synthetic oil... its expensive but you gotta use it or you will mess up your synchros because they are a fiber mesh of some sort

Back