info on mods

valleyduramax

hey i am new to this forum but a member of a few duramax forums. so this post is actually for a buddy that is a bit lazy when it comes to this stuff. but to get to the point my buddy has a 92.5 12 valve reg cab long box 2wd that he is trying to hop up. so far he has turned up the VE pump to almost its max available adjustments. now the next mod he is looking to do is injectors. the truck is daily driven but he would like to have a quick street truck so what injectors would be best. power goals are say 350 - 500 hp range. also would it be best to upgrade the stock turbo with the aftermarket 60mm comp wheel? what would be a good twin combo using the stock charger also. just looking to get as much info to help him out. last question he has the a518 and is it worth upgrading the internals or swap in a 47rh with his power goals??? thanks for the help

For 350-500 horse, I would recommend a set of 6x.016" injectors from John Russin or Schied. He'll need a better lift pump set up, whether it be low pressure piston pump, second gen. piston pump with regulator, airdog, etc. Turbo wise, I wouldn't waste my time with the 60mm upgrade for the horsepower he wants. I would run a 62/65/14 or 62/71/14 s300 as a single. If he want's twins, I like my 57/65/14 over s475 setup. BC847 runs a 62/65/14 over ht3b setup I believe. He has no shortage of power. I would say o-rings and headstuds should be on the list too. As for the 518, a converter and valve body are needed for sure, but you'll always put more power to the ground with the lockup.

I would personally switch to a lock-up if you ask me. To much power gets lost without it. Just my $.02

hey so we my buddy and me went to a local dyno day and we both hit the rollers. i went 496.4hp and 928ft/lbs in my 05 lly dmax and buddy with the 93 12valve with just pump turned up went 185hp and 440ft/lbs. so at least now he has a baseline and can go from here. so he is gonna look for some 6x16 injectors and upgrade the 518 for now as he doesnt see ever going past 500hp thinking more like 350 as a goal to hit.

I would upgrade turbo and lift pump before injectors. Just a stock truck with the pump turned up will suck your fuel psi to 0. I would also do the trans first. You can have all the power in the world but it'll do ya no good without gettin it to the ground. To achieve 350, would be easy enough with even an HE351 turbo and a built 518 trans and even a set of ddp or sdx injectors or even cheap PODs. If he wants to go 400+ I would recommend 47rh, 6x16s or bigger and a 14mm H&R in the plans.