Inj Question

Gambler

I pulled my injectors this evening to check them as well as clean them. Number 1 & 3, the tips were wet. The others all looked to have a little carbon built up and were dry. Why would 1 & 3 be wet? Am I only running on 4 cylinders, I would think it would be running very rough if that was the case.
Thank you,
Jody

Could it be excessive fuel thru 1 & 3 and not getting burned completely?

I've seen that as well in my 12v. When I first changed injectors from stock 2 tips were wet, one was rusty brown.

We'll, I'll clarify on the inj being wet. It was fuel and not water and no rust. Curious if the injectors were hanging open?

If you pop test them I'd bet #1 and #3 are popping at a much lower pressure than the rest. Just my opinion. If you bore scope #1 and #3 you may be able to see some that they were hanging open. I would have them tested/ replaced. If you don't have a scope, pulling the head may be another idea if your worried about anything.If not, fix your injector problem and run it!

In the past we had leaky injectors in a 3.0 truck. We were able to get them all close to the same pop pressure by changing out the shims in the leaky ones but it was only a temporary fix to make one more hook until the new ones arrived. I wouldn't do it again, especially on a daily driver without more experience.

Could be the pump to, after I changed injectors then changed them again the same tips were wet.

Get them pop tested, shops will normally do it pretty cheap. They can also check them for leakage by holding them about 20 bar under their pop pressure and check for leakage (Cummins spec is no dripping within 10 seconds). I normally go 30 seconds and see just a faint amount of dampness.

You can also disassemble them and check the pintle tip for damage, while also cleaning the edge filter while you're in there.

Last edited:
Get them pop tested, shops will normally do it pretty cheap. They can also check them for leakage by holding them about 20 bar under their pop pressure and check for leakage (Cummins spec is no dripping within 10 seconds). I normally go 30 seconds and see just a faint amount of dampness.

You can also disassemble them and check the pintle tip for damage, while also cleaning the edge filter while you're in there.

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it:Cheer: