Injector disassembly

Extended Power

I was wondering if anyone has pulled an injector COMPLETELY apart?

I have gone as far as removing the solenoid coils, spool valves, and the top section, followed by the barrel, spring, and plunger...but have not pulled the bottom apart.

Is there anything to really worry about when you take the bottom apart? It looks like there may be a pin or something...IDK...

Can the bottom pintle get seized? Or are most problems with the spool valves?

Nozzle comes out and comes apart. Its not hard. Problems are typically in the spool valve. But if the plunger is scored. IE missing the coating. Or if the barrel is screwed then thats a problem. But the later Clevis took care of the later. If fuel pressure runs low it has a tough time returning to a ready to fire position. Combine that with high oil pressures and pulse width and you can potentially bottom something out...

Nozzle comes out and comes apart. Its not hard. Problems are typically in the spool valve. But if the plunger is scored. IE missing the coating. Or if the barrel is screwed then thats a problem. But the later Clevis took care of the later. If fuel pressure runs low it has a tough time returning to a ready to fire position. Combine that with high oil pressures and pulse width and you can potentially bottom something out...

I have had the top apart, and there is no scoring on the plunger at all. The black coating is perfect.
I am wondering about the bottom pintle part...How does it come apart? Just grab on with a wrench right below the fuel inlet screens, or what? Thanks.

Wrench or vise. And a spanner wrench will grab the keyway. Dude. The pintle isn't staying down. The spool valve only has to move .017 inches to fire the injector. So if its got crap in the way or doesn't like to slide until its warm, it will not fire completely.

Since you have pulled the spool valve off. Swap it to another injector. See if your problem switches cylinders.

When I was done cleaning the spool valve and injector top section...with the spool valve oiled up, I could tip the injector from side to side, and watch the spool valve slide out of the injector body....so it doesn't seem to be spool valve...unless crap is getting past the Amsoil oil filter, or the FS 2500...
I was starting to think it may be the coils themselves.
Dealer wants $275.00 for a injector, and a $250.00 core charge. (For 1 injector)
I was going to put a stock injector in, so I could drive the truck until I can get a couple of spares coming.

Wrench or vise. And a spanner wrench will grab the keyway. Dude. The pintle isn't staying down. The spool valve only has to move .017 inches to fire the injector. So if its got crap in the way or doesn't like to slide until its warm, it will not fire completely.

It does it even when the truck is warm. (Contribution Fault)

Since you have pulled the spool valve off. Swap it to another injector. See if your problem switches cylinders.

...and the truck is back together again....:bang

The other problem that throughs contribution faults is the relief port they plug. Some builders weld them. Others push plugs in them. If the plugs start leaking, it'll cause the truck to run rough.

The other problem that throughs contribution faults is the relief port they plug. Some builders weld them. Others push plugs in them. If the plugs start leaking, it'll cause the truck to run rough.

What relief port? The one on the side of the injector body. (If you pour oil into the body, it will run out a small hole on the side.)

If I buy a new injector from Ford, and change the entire top section, (Meaning the spool valve portion, along with the solenoids) should that fix it?

All the modded parts are in the bottom section, not?

Casserly welds them. Elite presses them in (At least thats how they used to be).

Casserly welds them. Elite presses them in (At least thats how they used to be).

Do you have a picture of this relief port?

I have Casserly's injectors, so I don't think the weld would fall out...

The truck seems to smooth out when I excellerate, but as soon as I come to an idle, it misses again.

Do you have a picture of this relief port?

I have Casserly's injectors, so I don't think the weld would fall out...

The truck seems to smooth out when I excellerate, but as soon as I come to an idle, it misses again.

The weld can break if it was ground a little thin...

Very familiar. Bigger injectors=a few quirks, and a learning curve. If I use any fuel additive the idle misses. Tank without and the idle returns to normal. That's a wierd one huh?

Back