injector exits the head

08 mega man

cornfused
Well we put a set of injectors in 03 lb7 were real strict on torque specs so I know they were tight! Well he drove the truck a couple days and he calls. Today saying he blew an injector one of our guys went to check it. Out and #3 shot out of the head through the valve cover and took the line with it what on earth could have caused this?

Broken holder or bolt. Replace the cup, injector, line, holder-bolt, and seal. Luckily it's an lb7 and the head doesn't get destroyed when it happens.

I know Cat engines will blow injectors out if you hydro lock a cylinder...Did it happen right on start-up? Or driving down the road?

A torque wrench will not always give you the tell tale signs of a weak bolt or near stripped threads. I never use a torque wrench on them, just a short 3/8" drive ratchet, never an issue. It's all about the feel! ;)

Next time it happens I will try and get some pictures. 3516 was the last one that I have seen. Usually happens when you change a injector and do not completely blow all the fuel out of the cylinder.

Next time it happens I will try and get some pictures. 3516 was the last one that I have seen. Usually happens when you change a injector and do not completely blow all the fuel out of the cylinder.

sweet deal, i only get to see em smoke and bang a lot when i do that, but then again i only wrench on on-highway engines, no gen sets or tractors:frown:

There you go! This is a 797 Haul truck engine. It has 2 CAT 3512's mated together. Popped the injector out of the valve cover right on start-up.
IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

A torque wrench will not always give you the tell tale signs of a weak bolt or near stripped threads. I never use a torque wrench on them, just a short 3/8" drive ratchet, never an issue. It's all about the feel! ;)

3/8" impact on the couple LB7's I've replaced injectors in. Let it hammer for a second or 2 and call it good. No problems.

Mine ran for about two weeks from what was thought to be really bad injector, once cover came off found broken hold down bolt, bout all it did was beat the heck out of injector and cup, it still ran ok under throttle but would skip at idle and show 15 on balance rate!!!