injector question

leeso

How can you tell if you have a faulty injector or two??

Hard start, rough running, mixing fuel in oil, white smoke, poor balance rates, try searching.....

When it idles it will have like a little knock and then sometimes it will like cut out or miss briefly.

I had mine knock, starting took a little longer and motor was shaking more.

Turned out it was a bad Connector tube (leaking).

Replaced and had it installed correctly. All good now.

Not to sure on the miles as I brought the engine second hand. With the connector tube do they leak externally? How did you find it?

Pull crossover tubes and look at the tips. Any deep scratch or dent can cause leaks. If their leaking at idle you will have a serious rail pressure issue while driving. Best to not play with the injection system if you're not familiar with it.

I just had it all apart and as it was making metal and had a knock, everything in the engine was fine except for the top of the big ends. So I replaced everything I had to. [thanks to snedge] The only other common rail I'm familiar with is the CAT c175 and if there quill tubes leak they leak externally so how do I tell if they leak? They all looked good when I put everything back. But this Knock and bit of a miss was there before I tore it down and it is still there, that's why I think it is a injector, but I don't want to just throw parts at it with out testing it somehow [injector cut out, duration] or do these have to be removed and tested on a bench?

best to pull them and have them bench tested, what do you mean everything was fine except for big ends? if you havent already, pull a head and see if there is any visible fuel or damage to a cylinder that will quickly point out what injector is out if there is one.

btw what engine is in your truck?