injector removal?

7inchstack

diesel dork
okays guys i got an 04 6.0 at work and its got some bad injectors. my boss wants me to pull them out, and im just getting some tips on what im lookin at here. does the cab have to come off? i guess im looking for any advice you guys can give me. anything is greatly appreciated!
Thanks Ryan

keep the cab on remove cac tubes air cleaner assembly move the degas bottle out of the way remove the ficm remove vc unclip the wire harnesses for injectors remove the oil passages from on top of injectors use torx bit remove injector hold down nut pull up on injector

Long torx and rachet wrenches will be your friends. Some use long extension with ujoint also. Not a bad job just take your time and don't forget to blow out the injector hold down bolt holes to get a good torque on them.

Removing injector harness from center valve cover.

19mm 3/8 drive socket. Unplug injector, put the socket over the plug so the socket fits inside the hole in the valve cover, and over the injector harness plug, and give the end of the socket a rap. It will pinch the injector harness locks in, and force the plug out. Then just push the harness plug through with your thumb.

i guess the big thing is to make sure you blow the injector holder bolt holes out. If you don't blow the oil out of them the injectors will loosen up over time. I found this out the hard way and had to go back in. There is a braided stainless oil line that attaches to the stand pipe on one end and the other is attached to the high pressure oil rail that sits on the injectors. there is a black clip on it that you'll need to slide up to unclip it then pop the line off at the high pressure oil rail. I believe the high pressure oil rail bolts are 8mm. the injector holders use a T45 torx bit i think, valve cover bolts are 12mm. take your time.

It's a no. 40 torx that you use. Do yourself a huge favor and find a 3" long bit. Otherwise, you risk the possibility of damaging the plastic connector at the top of the stick if you should "slip".

okay cool thanks guys i got it, wat a pain...we have another 6.0 with injector problems so it should go easyer. Thanks for all the replys!

It's a no. 40 torx that you use. Do yourself a huge favor and find a 3" long bit. Otherwise, you risk the possibility of damaging the plastic connector at the top of the stick if you should "slip".

Pretty sure - T40 socket for early model years (production prior to 9/29/2003 which includes the EARLY 2004's) and T30 socket for later model years and T45 for commonized engines (commonized began in Jan 2006).

Back