Injectors + Fuel milage

strokedviking

alright, these fuel prices are pissing me off and i'm about to sell my truck cause of such bad fuel consumption. right now my truck is my daily driver and right now i cant have a daily driver that gets 13mpg @ $3.89/gallon!
so i am hoping that maybe you guys can either convince me to keep my truck, or tell my that you guys are getting better fuel milage with injectors and that i should sack up and get some.
so please, what are your mods and and what is your MPG?
thanks!

don't look for injectors to get you better fuel economy IMHO..sorry to say..

13 mpg...ok, now go and buy a gas jobby, and get what 14-15? Plus the hit you take on trading it off.
And if you don't trade it off, you are just throwing your money right out the window, cuz you HAD to buy the vehicle...AND still have to fill it up.

I love my truck. I was getting around 16.5+ on winter fuel before I took it apart...and it has ALOT MORE POWER than any gas jobby that gets the SAME milage.

Suck it up Princess, Keep your truck, and drive it. Every man that is driving a gasser right now wants a diesel. (They just won't admit it)

I dont think injectors will do you any good. I have however heard that when people upgrade injectors AND turbo, they get alot better mileage. I talked to a guy with a 6.0 that put in a VGT-SS and some 190s and was getting 21 to 22 mpg, hand calculated, on 35" tires! This guy is a friend that I trust too, not a random guy off the street.

I was getting 22.6 hand calculated at 75 mph with 190's and Bean's turbo.
The way my truck sits probably helped a lot though.

Most people are getting around 2 mpg better with 165 to 190 injectors. I'm actually looking at adding a set just for that reason.

I just did a test for a magazine on Dynamite’s 90 hp injectors and we gained 2.3 or so mpg on the highway. The truck was completely stock except for the injectors. No tuner, no intake, no exhaust, no nothing!

I know Elite has changed their tips to 6 holes in hopes to increase pressure and help atomization. Which should increase mpg as well.

alright, these fuel prices are pissing me off and i'm about to sell my truck cause of such bad fuel consumption. right now my truck is my daily driver and right now i cant have a daily driver that gets 13mpg @ $3.89/gallon!
so i am hoping that maybe you guys can either convince me to keep my truck, or tell my that you guys are getting better fuel milage with injectors and that i should sack up and get some.
thanks!

I'm running 35" tires and a 4" lift with the same mods. I'm getting 11 mpg. Looking to sell my older F150 for a Ranger or a small pick up.

I got 10mpg w/ 275's and a vgt-ss, it was a temporary deal but I didn think mileage would suffer that bad.:kick:

Now im going to try a different turbo and see how much difference it makes.

But back when it was mostly stock it would get 16mpg mostly then 19 or so on a trip. I though that was pretty good for what I used it for and compared to the other trucks around my shop.

Last edited:
thanks for the responce guys!
i know i am sucking it up and driving it, i love the truck but i'm just taking it up the pooper every time i'm at the pump, just like the rest of you guys!
and i'm sick of it! something has to be done, and i've heard that some guys experianced increase economy when they got new injectors and turbo. so i was just curious what some of you guys have experianced when you have done so.
if people are getting around 20mpg with 35's, thats pretty darn good. i know rich said a while ago that he got an increase in economy with his truck, but like he said, i'm sure the low profile of his truck helps alot.
theres just got to be something up with these trucks, why they vary so much. i know i know, some have 4x4 some are 2wd blah, blah, blah. but when i first got my truck i got 19mpg out of it once, then i had a reflash and then it droped to about 16ish. but then all of a sudden i just stopped getting that and now its about 11-13 at best. i have a sneaky suspision that it has something to do with the drivetrain. a while ago when climbing a steep hill the tranny SLAMMED into gear SO hard i sware the tranny droped out of the bottom! it has been fine when shifting and all that ever since. but i have noticed an increase in drivetrain drag since then. when going down a vary steep hill with my foot off the gas pedal, the truck will slowley slow down. then i can put it into nuetral and the truck will start to gain speed going down the hill. then i put it back in gear and it slows down much more than i ever remember. could something have happend to my tranny when it did that crazy shift? i dont know....but something is definately up.

I was at the dyno a few months back testing some stuff. I found out that I was about 100 hp short of what I used to be at. After calling around and doing some research I came to the conclusion that my HPOP was slowly going out.

I changed my HPOP and my mpg went up. If I hadn't dynoed my truck, I would have never found out that the truck was down on power. I mean I drive it on a medium hp setting, but I'm in traffic and freeway driving. I don't race from light to light and I just didn't realize that I was down that much power.

It is actually like driving a whole new truck again.

When was the last time you change your fuel filters?
Same for the air filter?

You may want to pony up and get some good synthetic in there. I switched to Royal Purple (engine, transfer case, differentials) and picked up 1.5 mpg on the freeway. And she drives much smoother. Just something to think about.

Thanks hpprose,
thats the type of stuff i want to hear thanks!
how much for a hpop? what kinda RP engine oil are you using?

Strokedviking,

Don't just go and buy one an HPOP. There may be nothing wrong with yours. I was trying to point out that sometimes things start to go out and if you don't test them, you most likely won't notice for quite sometime. I think my HPOP was around 500 + install. I don't know if you have dyno'ed your truck before but you might want to. That is a pretty good test to see if everything is working like it should.

As far as Royal Purple I'm using
15w40 for the engine
Max ATF I believe for the transfercase (you should verify that's right)
75w90 Max-Gear for the differentials. The front calls for 75w90 and the back calls for something like 75w140. I just bought a case of 75w90. Depending on how much towing and stuff you do, you may wan to use the higher weight oil.

Don’t forget to look at both fuel filters and your air filter. When they get clogged, everything goes to crap.

try running a power additive to a your fuel, I run delvac syn. engine oil and lucas in gear boxes. Mobile syn gear lube in rearend. I have 20" tires with nitrogen getting 20-22 mpg at 60 mph or less
mpg alot less over 60mph. next up is high performance air and water injector kit. TCB

thanks!

I'd detune and get some air mods on your truck until the diesel prices satisfy you. Oh and it's ok to take 10 seconds to get to 75 mph, just cuz you can do it faster doesn't mean you have to every time. Good luck, hope you keep the diesel.

Also dont forget that in winter diesel is more expensive because the primary production is actually for heating oil. It usually goes down after the spring refinery shutdowns. Gas usually goes up in the summer. Last summer we stayed at 2.85 for almost 3 months straight while gas hit thier high of nearly 4.00 a gal.

That's true. We are higher usually during the winter than the summer. I didn't even realize that until I just read that. Good observation StuckinMud