Innovative Race FICM installed

Couple of questions that I have seen others ask but not seeing any responses anywhere...

Is there a downside to the mod? Does this on a stock truck have the potential to hurt the stock engine?

Not that I can see

Does it compliment tuners or is there partial overlap in gains?
Compliments
What is the story on turnaround? pretty quick
Send your FICM in and wait or get one tuned and elect to send or not send a core back? Call Eric I for one would like to keep mine in case of some gremlin and have something to throw back in as my truck is a daily driver.

I am 90% sure it will help mileage on a stock truck. Remember, I have the race version, and it is not recommended for a basic setup. You will see an improvement according to Eric with a basic FICM reflash.

From what I know, most of the FICM tuning benefits racers and upgraded motor packages. If you're running 190+ injectors, oversized turbo, etc. the FICM tuning will be the next great addition to your truck. The main thing that I believe the FICM is doing is using the full cycle of the larger injector because the FICM from the factory only recognizes a stock size injector and without opening the FICM's "mind" it will only use the partial ability of the injector you added to the truck. With the FICM tuned, you're now programming the fuel instead of uncontrollably flowing excess fuel through the motor.
If you are sitting with stock sticks, turbo, etc. than an IDP tune will be your best bet, whether it's the Xtreme Street or Xtreme Race file, they are written to work within stock configurations and optimize the truck as it sits using what Ford equipped it with.
Hopefully this helps some!

Did you send yours in and have it done?? Or does he send one and you send your old one back?? So is the race tuning still a demo or is it officially released now?? Also if you did send it in what was the turn around?? And do you have to change your tunes to go w/ this?? Any ansers are appreciated I am very interested and ready to do this if the down time isn't too long..

I sent one, actually two in, and he used it for some testing, so my turn around was quite a while, but I think it would be pretty fast now. I know he said it takes a while to flash it, but that's in minutes, not days.

Do you need new files to go with FICM tuning?
If new files are needed, are they part of Innovatives price or are they additional $$$

Mileage, shmileage. Take that thing to the track I wanna know what it DOES! :nos:

I contacted Eric (first time ever) late last night via email and he responded by 7am today. I replied and got a second email by noon or so.

Here's what I learned. He states 20-30 HP on a stock truck with a tuner and also mileage will be slightly better. He confirmed that the 75 hp gains being made are strictly on the race FICM tunes for trucks with bigger injectors and turbos.

Also, he stated that he has a tuning price and also a core price, so you can do both: send yours in and wait (don't know the turnaround, sorry) or purchase a core charge and have him send you a unit already tuned.

He also mentioned that it works with any tuner/programmer but mentioned that it works better with his tunes. (Can't begrudge him that one, he is a salesman too)

He stated that there is no downside to this mod other than a soft code that could be thrown and can only be read by a Ford scanner.

That's about it. He answered my questions about pricing, but I don't feel I should post that. Thanks to Eric for the prompt customer service today. I will say the price didn't scare me away especially if I were to just send mine in and wait.

Hope this helps others like me who were looking for the details of this mythical mod.

Damn..... now im going to have to add an innovative FICM to my growing list of mods i wanna do.

does anyone know how much a stock FICM can be picked up for? I would like to keep my stocker and send another one to get modded to Eric

I payed 840 i believe for a brand new one from Red Simon Ford in San Marcos but I will not go there again. Many people told me I could have gotten a used one for half the price.

Ive been thinking about this for a while. How is this tuning different than the old TS instigator. Didnt that remap the FICM. At one time I had the TS instigator165 and the bully dog stacked. FKN thing was fast as hell but blew the trans in no time...

just curiuos. Maybe Dennis can pipe in and explain his old TS box

does anyone know how much a stock FICM can be picked up for? I would like to keep my stocker and send another one to get modded to Eric

I picked up a good used spare off a friend who went with a cummins swap in his '06 for $200. I've seen them slightly cheaper on ebay sometimes, but you never know what you're getting... I've also seen them a lot higher.

the old ts didn't remap the ficm. It plugged into the pcm.

I believe mine plug into the wireharness that went from the PCM to the FICM

So like I said......Maybe Dennis will pipe in since he designed it

eek thanks guys I was hoping for less for a spare. Might be a wee bit longer then till I can do this mod

Back