Innovative Race FICM installed

There is a really good thread started over on another board about FICM voltage and the pattern a certain member is seeing.

He is stating that many FICMs are NOT putting out 48v or even close to that to each injector. He stated that trucks that are in the 40v+ range run much stronger and have less injector failure.

I tested mine and I have 48.7v on the open coil and 26v on the close coil. I've had my FICM replaced more than once but I haven't had any injectors replaced yet. The truck does seem to be weaker than others I've driven but I have yet to test their FICM output voltage.

There is a FICM hi voltage PID in the ids. Where are you testing the voltage at the injector or at the ficm?

What I did was unplug an injector with the truck off. I then connected the ground of my Fluke RMS meter to a engine block ground and connected the posative lead to terminal 1 (coil for opening injector) and then terminal 3 (coil for closing injector).

Each individual injector is controlled with four driver outputs from the FICM. There are high and low side drivers for the open and close coil of each injector.

On 2004.25+ (1845117C2 FICMs), the low side driver is actually shared among 4 injectors. This means an injector short to ground on the low side could produce four different cylinder error codes. On 2003.25 (1837127C4 FICMs) there are individual low side drivers for each injector. This means a low side failure would result in a single injector error code.

Whoa, hold up.... you're not going to see it with an RMS meter. First of all you're using the wrong tool. I don't mean that as an insult, aside from EE guys, most aren't going to recognize this. Fluke builds a good meter, but I seriously doubt it's anywhere near fast enough to capture an event like that. You need to be looking at that with an oscilloscope. It's the only device that will show you the voltage, duration, and wave shape.

An analog or digital meter is going to take the average value of what it's seeing. With a scope you can see if it's getting a single shot for opening, double pulse, 3 or whatever. Plus, since just about every scope out there today is at least 2 channels, you can look at open and close simultaneously.

And, depending on what tools you have available, you could also look at the current waveform. This would be really helpful if you're trying to diagnose a bad connection vs a bad FICM driver.

Now, the $5 question is who has a portable sillyscope that they can grab and play with? I have a monster bench model, and it's anything but portable.

Yea, this is what was stated on the other forum. I'm not too sure what the sample rate is for my Fluke but I know it's way quicker than my cheap sears meter.

I'm going to try and get an oscilloscope from work to test this out.

On a basic setup like intake, exhaust SCT what kinda gains will a ficm flash give?

I remember before someone was boasting big mpg gains.

All im looking for is a lil more topend w/ the converter locked and better mileage. Kinda wondering if the price is worth it for me. I dont care for the highest power anymore just a nice reliable setup thats getting good mileage.

I think it was somewhere around 20-30 HP, and 2-3 MPG, but hell if I remember.

Not like its a huge investment , its about the cost of a couple of tanks of fuel. I'm going with the exchange core so I still have my truck for deer season and ordering on the 15th !!

I recently installed an FICM that i had eric at Innovative diesel make some mild tuning to. It's not the race FICM it's the mild version. I notice no HP increase, but throttle response is a little better. Right now i'm gonna be checking the fuel milage and see if it gets better. If i was running bigger injectors or an aftermarket turbo, i would probably feel more HP out of the truck with the FICM tuning. I sent my FICM to him and got the same one back. Mild FICM tuning from ID is $200 and the race FICM tuning is $400.

let us know how your milage turns out strokin6l. I have had my eye on this for a while and need to talk the Mrs. into it.

I am getting my injector issue taken care of so my Race FICM is sitting on my work bench,a nd my stock FICM is in the truck.

Back