Innovative race FICM re-installed

Dalpilot- I have a serious question,.....airline pilots haven't actually landed or taken off planes for awhile right?.....aren't they all computer auto-mated now?

If i recall correctly you can get more automated(on landing atleast) if you have some of the "newer" airplanes. Its been a while since I was all up on aircraft technology, however I think that your basic old school 737's(liek 300-500) 747's(200-300)'s and whatever else was created by MD or whoever they are now. I think the newer boeing stuff and most of the airbus stuff can do it. I thought I recall seeing a scarebus landing on it's own. All i know is i rather have a drunk pilot incontrol rather than a computer!

I see you said "newer".....I heard somewhere that most commercial airlines have been pretty much fully auto-mated since the late late 80's.

I don't know, that's why I'm asking,......and if that is true,....then why b1tch so much when a pilot is drunk,....especially if he's not really flying the plane anyways.....LOL LOL

Most aircraft flying around now, all of the Delta Fleet, have the ability to do an Autoland. We only do it on a few occasions. Category III is when the surface visibility is down to 300' and the fog is right on the deck. Then we are required to use it. Also the airplane itself is required to demonstrate an autoland every 30 days to stay certified. Every now and then you will get a message on the flight plan asking you to do an autoland to keep the aircraft in cert. If its a good one, we mark it as a "Sat" and its good for 30 more days. If its not good, (outside of the paramaters) its an "Unsat" and it goes to maintenance or it is removed from "Autoland" capability till it is fixed. Also every 6 months, the pilot has to demonstrate an auto land.....Yeah I know it sounds dumb to me too. There are three autopilot systems, and they all have to agree and be dead on to continue. Its pretty slick not seeing the runway your landing on. Then the hard part is taxiing.

Almost everything flying from the mid 80's up has that ability, but Delta is one of the only airlines that actually pays for the certification and training to do cat III autolands. Its expensive as hell to train and keep up the equipment, but 4 times in December landing in Atlanta and Jacksonville I used it. It pays for itself in about 2 days with weather like that. Also you feel like the cats ass when everyone else is holding and waiting for the weather to improve or diverting and you come right in and land.

No aircraft, other than the f-18 off the carrier has an auto takeoff that I know of. Also computers fail thats why you need sober pilots, and your an idiot if your gonna risk the lives of others by having a few too many before work.

Great info,...I hate hearing stories/rumors....I like getting my info first hand....

Oh! Ok! I guess somehow Ive never seen it! LOL Thats awesome!

WHAT?

Tonight....Not tomorrow...Go.Rent.Airplane!

Sheesh...I figured every member here has seen that movie at least 5 times...

"Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffin' glue"

Update on the FICM. Today after being upside down in my truck for 2 full days, tearing everything off down to a long block, it started up perfect, and idled like a stock truck. Warm up for 2-3 minutes and all is Kosher. One thing I have noticed is it pulls much harder, but has very little smoke. Thats cool as hell. Looking forward to seeing the fuel mileage too.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvTC6rQHczo[/MEDIA]

Just rolling into it,normal everyday driving, it used to smoke out several lanes, now it barely smokes.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GslSb3IxvLk[/MEDIA]

Small Hit

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x59UPpiHN2M[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
In all fairness, I have a great big AFE filter on it right now, and it has no housing around it at all, so that's the reason you hear all the turbo whistle inside. When the airaid is on it, it is a lot quieter.

Back