installed cds 5 gsks can't get to idle right NEED HELP!!!

Coaltrain03

I have a 95 12valve recently put a good working 180 put on it I installed 191 dvs, grinder the plate to a #10, and cds 5k gsk kit, timing was advanced to 13°, got it running it idled way up by itself on 5 clicks I back of 1 click till it was idling at 800 (at 2 clicks) but when I turn a/c off it idles up to around 11-1200 only when a/c is off I've tried everything to my knowledge any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The sets that I have seen are happy at 2 clicks. Have you re adjusted the idle at the rear of the pump yet?

****AY Racing

I would also bump the timing up to at least 16* preferably more if your planning on actually utilizing those 5Ks

****AY Racing

Yes I have mess with the idle screw and I really don't plan on hitting 5k it just dumb founds me why I turn a off and it idles up what's throwing me for a Lipe

When you turn your A/C off the compressor is disengaging and your losing that load on the engine... Therefore the idle will go up. The trucks I saw with CDS 5Ks also idled at like 500RPM. They are very finicky springs. One of the main reasons I went with Haisley 5Ks. They idle perfect and fuel hard but are very manageable for daily driving.

Set your idle to around 800 with the A/C off then see how it idles with it on afterwards

That's where it's set at now I'm just trying figure out if it's a normal problem cause I've read a lot of places that say they have em and have normal idle with em and when I called cds they told me my pump was junk but the pump come off a running truck what I don't understand

It's set 800 now but where it sets now is where it goes up and down on rpms, but with the stock springs it doesn't move that much or you don't notice it coming on and off

You need 2 idle idle shims under each big spring. Won't fluctuate all crazy when adjusting idle and should only drop 200-250 rpm in gear.

If your not even planning to utilize 5k's why even mess with them when you can get 4k's that work and run down the road perfectly? 5k's will not be fun on the road, very touchy and the only way I've saw CDS run correctly is when they they are tuned on a test stand.

Plus 13* is not near enough minimum 16* I'd shoot for 18-20* though

Last edited:
There's shims in the pump that are in there from the factory. I believe there is only 2 large (idle shims) total. I used some extra shims that I had plus the ones that were in my pump. I was having trouble and that's what seth Farrell told me to do, haven't had a problem yet.

I'm just gonna chime in a small bit here...

Punctuation!!!

I agree that it probably needs some idle shims as well.

When your going by clicks are you being careful to get your "hard" and "soft" clicks separate?

I used the 5k gsk cause they were laying in around the shop and no I'm not going to get 5k rpms it's a fun daily driver that on occasion might be used past 4k. when I'm talking bout clicks the initial 5 was 1 soft and 4 hard clicks. So the idle shims everyone is talking about just to make sure I'm correct are the 2 shims at the bottom of the factory governor springs, so would it be best to start offrom with one shim at a time or put both in together

The CDS springs idle fine. Something is a miss in regards to the shims you did or did not install. I did mine so long ago I can't recall what shims go where but I followed the directions and they idle as smooth as the 4k sets I've run in the past.

mine didnt come with instructions i bought em new (never used out of box) from a guy on here cant remember his name, but didnt come with instruction this is why i posted this ive called cds and got no where going that route

mine didnt come with instructions i bought em new (never used out of box) from a guy on here cant remember his name, but didnt come with instruction this is why i posted this ive called cds and got no where going that route

From one of the links below: "The instruction say that you should have the wear shim plus the .020 (which is thinner according to my measurement) idle shim. "

Try the following links:
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showpost.php?p=542157&postcount=16

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68994&highlight=CDS+shim&page=2
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showpost.php?p=522729&postcount=3

For additional info do a search under my name NickTF with the keywords of CDS shims. Choose the option to display posts (not threads). You should find more if the three links above don't give you what you need. Good luck!