Instrument cluster lights

mrmuddy76

Has any one changed the little bulbs in your dash lights. I have several out right now

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

relevant-to-my-interests.jpg

I've changed plenty in 2nd gen clusters but never a 3rd gen. I don't think it could be too much harder.

Sent from my paperweight

Ya the cluster is cake but the bulbs are different than iv seen before, and were can u get them?

Can't find the pn# right now but go to dodge and get them for the heater controls on an 05. That was the only place I could find the pn# I think theyre a couple dollars each and theyre all the same bulb from 03-09 dash and heater controls.

Ok cool ill check into it didn't realize they were the same they looked different

Last edited:
I've bought a full set of LEDs from Super Bright LEDs. I bought the 5-diode 194 leds with change able sockets. But they were like $70. But I switched them to LED green and they came out brighter than my DiPricol green gauges. Worth the money. But the factory sockets aren't interchange-able so make sure you get sockets as well. Other than the sockets they are just 194 bulbs.

I would like to change to LEDs but then my dimmer will not work correct. Also I found the 194 bulbs and bases, is there a special base for dodge

Not "special" so-to-speak, there is only two different style of instrument sockets for the 194 bulbs. One is 5/8" and the other is 1/2" if I remember correctly. One is Dodge style and the other is Ford style. Pretty sure the Dodge was the bigger one. Which ever socket superbrightleds offers with the bulbs is the one that worked for mine. Because the Ford bulbs are not soldered in from the factory like Dodges are so they're not commonly seen unless specified.

Dimmer doesn't work with the LEDs, but nothing a simple resistor couldn't fix in the dimmer switch. As these bulbs are also internally resisted for dimming. But Dodge dimmers don't have a very good resistor factory. And these put out a good solid color without being blinding or needing dimming. But my gauge faces are black.

So what I have found is that there is 1/4 and 1/2 with dodge being the smaller and gm and ford being the larger. The bases are about a $1 a piece on eBay as well as the bulbs

I probably have them backwards in my head. Its been awhile since of done a set. So you are probably right. The bases were $1 a piece through Superbrightleds as well but the bulbs were what were expensive. They were rated at like 30 lumen each.

I want to change to led because my autometer factory match's are brighter than my dash. Just haven't got the gumption to do it.

Ya my isspro's are brighter too but I run a separate dimmer for them because I light run my dash light really low, I have both dinners tied together so that my factory dimmer dims every thing but I can dim my isspros lower

So doing some looking at the 194 buld and they look bigger than the ones in my 05. The 74 bulb looks much closer in size for the dash lights and AC controls any one else seen this?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

When I changed mine the bulbs were fused into the holder "very small Bulbs" There are two types used but it's been a while and can't remember the part numbers! I did mine a few years ago and they were not available through a store like napa but maybe now they are. An above post mentioned the heater control and yes they are the same bulbs used!

So doing some looking at the 194 buld and they look bigger than the ones in my 05. The 74 bulb looks much closer in size for the dash lights and AC controls any one else seen this?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

They are probably the 74s. As its been awhile since I had a 3rd Gen one torn apart.

ive done a few second gens but not my 3rd yet. luckily i havent had any problems.

IIRC the 194 is going to be way to big. thats the same as a license plate light or a map light.

where does the dash come apart to get the cluster out?

Back