intake/exhaust combo?????

cumminonu

was wandering if i could get some help i have a 99 dodge 2500 completely stock and im about to start "building it up" thought i would start with an exhaust and intake..is there really a big advantage to having a cold air intake?? for example the afe stage 1 vs. stage 2...some info on brands and where to buy please...or any other suggestions

Yes they help, and I can't really help with what one is "best" but IMHO there isn't a lot of difference from one to the next. Exhaust is a lot the same.

What are your goals with the truck?

To start with a box would be a lot more bang for your buck that you can feel. Especially if you go used. And many boxes will not run to hot with stock intake/exhaust.

Not saying you don't need them, just that they don't HAVE to be the first step.

i was looking at the edge juice w/attitude monitor as my programmer i like the on the fly adjustments it has and have heard alot of good feedback for it or maybe a smarty even though they arent adjustable

and i want to do a 4" to 5" single stack coming out of the bed

im looking for just a fun truck hopefully one day in the 450-500 hp range.. probobally wont do pulls but who knows whats down the road the truck just seems underpowered at 215 hp

any suggestions with the tranny??

oo and what about the oiled filters vs. dry filters?

I would suggest grand rock for the exhaust with stack setup.
If you have an auto trans, its going to probably need a better converter, if not more.
If its a manual, then you are going to need a clutch.

For a stack setup contact either Grand Rock or Silverline, they are two of the best companies out there. And yes, bigger exhaust will help out, just not as much as you might think.

For the intake, Click Here for a pretty good rundown on them. Shoot user Jackthebear a PM on pricing etc, he is on here all the time helping folks, help him back if you can :D

As for the tranny, yes, it will need some TLC, for a stick plan to upgrade the clutch, how much of one depends on what you will do with the truck. For an auto, plan to go through it all eventually, for now a converter and valve body before throwing lots of power at it will help immensely.

what brand of converter is the best for your money? i have been researching the ATS five star, banks power billet, and BD-Power...i seem to be leaning more towards the ATS because of the 3 year 150,000 mile warranty...

I'm not an auto guy, but I believe that I have read that the best ones are either DTT or Goerend, but someone else will have to verify that...

Those are the most common pics for the second gens for TC by far.

Do you use your truck in real dusty environments? That is what makes the air filter question tough for me, I do, so I run a BHAF for filtration in the dusty environments. Not as much flow as some, but generally to get more flow you will sacrifice filtration. Plus I don't like oiled filters because of the downtime to clean them. I might be trying the S&B setup someday.

Goerend TC and VB here and very happy. Thats step 1 I think before adding power. AFE stg 2 is better but for the money I dunno. Fat exhaust will make it runner cooler, but don't do the single stack right away or you will look like a poser!....Just my opinion but usually the single stack means business!!!

Not saying you don't need them, just that they don't HAVE to be the first step.

Yeah I think that's the gasser mentality. For our trucks you get lower temps and maybe a little quicker spool, but no more power. I try to recommend a fuel system and some gauges then a box for some hp/ mpg.

yea it can be dusty at times i will probobally go with the afe stage 2 with pro guard 7 filter i still want the single stack because i like the way it looks...dont worry im not a poser it will have power just in time...and i dont have the money to buy a different exhaust than i want and then when i have more power get the stack. i figure just do what you want the first time and be happy with it

next i plan on the edge or smarty, a FASS fuel system and geting rid of the old VP 44 but that will be a different day lol

hehe yeah I like the single stack too, only reason I don't have one yet is cause my truck came with 4inch so thats fine for now. Go for it!

If you run in dusty conditions I would not use the AFE oiled type filter. I have one, and I run in dust, and I clean it constantly, they are very bad about getting clogged up with dust, even with a prefilter. S&B makes a good dry element with good flow and filtration, that's the route I'm most likely to take in a bit, just getting tired of cleaning the AFE so often and being out of a truck till it drys.

yea i wanted a dry filter...i just ordered the pro guard 7 dry filter with a stage 1 afe

i wanted the dry because of the dirt and dust im in i live on a farm and find myself in these conditions alot thanks for the input! helped out alot and i went ahead and ordered the afe tourque tube as well from genos supposed to add 200 cfm i guess ill find out