intake heater grid

tirefrier

Coal Train conductor
Is there anyway to get rid of the intake grid heater say with the gdp spacer, but not throw any ses lights. I live in vegas and dont need it but the wife will never keep quiet:badidea: if the light is on all the time. thanks

I'm dumb to the new trucks, what is an ses light? If it is electrical we can wire around it somehow!

Service Engine Soon.........it's ok Jory we all know you're a little slow!! LOL

Just kidding!

4x4dually said:
I'm dumb to the new trucks, what is an ses light? If it is electrical we can wire around it somehow!

Any lights check engine or sevice engine is bad news for my ears, Ill never hear the end of it. A 40,000 dollar truck throwing codes blah blah blah :bang . Besides that I would want the lights to still have fuctionality if I have a problem with somthin else.

I wonder how it senses the heater aren't there, the AIT? Once the motor warms up and the grids shut off normally seems like it wouldn't give a hoot. I'm almost certain it wouldn't monitor the current flowing to the grids. That is too complicated for truck designers!

4x4dually said:
I wonder how it senses the heater aren't there, the AIT? Once the motor warms up and the grids shut off normally seems like it wouldn't give a hoot. I'm almost certain it wouldn't monitor the current flowing to the grids. That is too complicated for truck designers!

You would like to think that, but what about the self protecting lights on the 06? What about the lamp out indicator, this would be no different than that.

Prolly the same concept as the blown fuse indicators.

I am just curious to know how it works. If I knew or had a new truck to tinker with, we could probably find a solution for you, tirefrier. Anyone have a schematic of how it is all hooked up?

tirefrier said:
Is there anyway to get rid of the intake grid heater say with the gdp spacer, but not throw any ses lights. I live in vegas and dont need it but the wife will never keep quiet:badidea: if the light is on all the time. thanks

I've been running one for a couple of weeks down to 27-28* with no codes.

jlibert said:
I've been running one for a couple of weeks down to 27-28* with no codes.
Did you notice any gains from taking the grid out? Smoother accl, or quicker throttle response?

Friend of mine is a diesel tech at dodge he says the grid heater uses 90 amps to run and will make check engine light come on if it disabled. Maybe on the first commonrails it wouldnt set off a light. Maybe it wont on mine either I was just going off what he said. Id hate to buy the spacer and not get the check engine light to go off. thanks for the replys

Ive seen a lot of 3rd gen's with them in a only when the temps are real cold (less than 40*) does it set codes. The ECM will set a code if it expects a voltage drop from the cycle of the grid heater and it does not see the drop.

Its a soft code that will go away with a few cycles of the key..or once it reaches normal temp...or i clear it w/ my edge.......ive had my spacer for a few months and the cose has only come on 2 times. Both thimes the truck sat for a few days and the temps were below 40*.

I saw a quicker spool up and maybe 40-50* lower EGT on the high end. I saw a dyno sheet from a 2nd gen with about 650 rwhp that gained 17hp w/a WINspeed delete spacer

Last edited:
Guess you can throw me in with the idiots. Mine's still in. Happen to like it when the truck is going through it's warm up cycles and so forth.

If someone came out with solid evidence that told me / proved I would "gain 100+ at the wheels or increase air flow by 10+%" or some other significant gain, I would yank it out.

Otherwise why? :pop:

Last edited:
gsdog1 said:
Guess you can throw me in with the idiots. Mine's still in. Happen to like it when the truck is going through it's warm up cycles and so forth.

If someone came out with solid evidence that told me / proved I would "gain 100+ at the wheels or increase air flow by 10+%" or some other significant gain, I would yank it out.

Otherwise why? :pop:

One reason for me I have a nice system in the truck, during these cycles it buries the voltmeter gauge. Cant be good on the altenator full load, then no load. Next reason it messes with my fuel pump it I actually lose fuel pressure during cycles. 3rd reason if you pissed through a screen it would still go through it but not quite the same as if it wasnt there. Some resistance has to be in there from the heater grid. 4th reason never gets cold enough where I live for the engine to run rough so why have it there. these are my personal reasons for removal of it, I just didnt want an engine light on all the time.

tirefrier said:
One reason for me I have a nice system in the truck, during these cycles it buries the voltmeter gauge. Cant be good on the altenator full load, then no load. Next reason it messes with my fuel pump it I actually lose fuel pressure during cycles. 3rd reason if you pissed through a screen it would still go through it but not quite the same as if it wasnt there. Some resistance has to be in there from the heater grid. 4th reason never gets cold enough where I live for the engine to run rough so why have it there. these are my personal reasons for removal of it, I just didnt want an engine light on all the time.

Simply outstanding rationale.

Especially numbers 1 and 4, and the fact that you aren't telling me you are getting umpteen more ponies out of it. You are to be commended.

Number 2 - what type of fuel pump are you running? I am using a FASS, and I can tell from my mechanical gauge it drops my pressure a good 2 pounds when the heater lights up.

FWIW - what you are hinting at in number 3 doesn't matter enough to worry seriously about for the loss of actual functionality of removing it and the fact that I would never do that in the wind anyways. :hehe: