Intake horn burn?

sinfulcoin

Looking for a new truck and came across this any ideas what caused it?

Attachments

• 8716056846.251481705.IM1.11.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
    8716056846.251481705.IM1.11.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 128
Might of had some fire related with the grid heater or something.

I was thinking that but then I looked at the grid heater itself and the bolts. Doesn't look to me that it has ever been jacked with. Anybody ever have a grid heater selinoid stick on?

original engine burned up or a fire bad enough that parts were replaced except for the horn? looks like way more heat damage to the intake horn then anywhere else on the engine.

engine dressing hides ugly... is there a metal or iron part on that truck not rusted?

Believe it or not but the rest of this truck is spotless. Been hunting for a blue second gen like this awhile to replace one that an ex-wife caused me to lose. To bad I can't find a long bed with a stick.

wonder if it was taken off a truck that did catch fire and was put on yours for some reason. The other owner might have had an aftermarket one one and just brought that one off somebody he knew or got it off ebay, if the rest of the truck looks good no sigh of that anywhere else thats what i would think

wonder if it was taken off a truck that did catch fire and was put on yours for some reason. The other owner might have had an aftermarket one one and just brought that one off somebody he knew or got it off ebay, if the rest of the truck looks good no sigh of that anywhere else thats what i would think

I doubt it, when cars and trucks catch fire they burn hotter than hell (really hot). AL melts around 1200 degrees. If a truck with that air horn catches fire. It's going to be in a puddle, solidified. That's my take on it at least.

Every car I've started on fire has burned so hot I had to stand at least 10 - 20 yards away. 40 yards away you can still feel the heat coming off.

Looks like a GH relay problem to me. My younger brothers truck had the same thing going on....cept it wasnt quite as charred. The compressor cover had a nice golden marshmallow look to it. The exhaust manifold and gridheater had obviously been replaced at one point in time. Imagine cruiseing down the highway for 5hrs at 70 with the grid heater on and no gauges to monitor your egts and such. Your average Joe would never notice something like that going on.....

ME.

On my 98. Freaked me out, started smelling, voltage dropped like a rock. It didn't look nearly as bad as yours though.

I know this is an old thread, but this happened to me tonight and i was wondering what had to be replaced. Just the relays below the battery box? I haven't tore into it yet because it just happened and it's dark out.