Intake removal?

jkidd_39

I just snagged a CR head off ebay for nothing. The seller claimed it was magnafluxed and no cracks. But looking at the head it's super filthy. Makes me think it hasn't been checked.

It was gonna be a backup head. I'm gonna hot tank it and magnaflux it and see where I stand.

If it's junk I wanna use it as a practice head for port and polish.

I wanna remove the plenum. How in the world do I do this? I don't wanna spend alot in machine work to get it open. I have torches, chop saws, band saws.. what is my best bet to remove the plenum?

I was thinking I could sit it in a large tank of water with the plenum out. Take my torch and take off the plenum 1/2' out from where it needs to be. Then my machinist can mill it smooth for me to play.

Also, I was talking to one of my friends and we were curious as to what effect a torch has on the steel after you cut it??

Sorry for the someone newb questions..

Much appreciated guys.

Andrew

I'd go the bandsaw route before I ever put a torch to it.

just send it to be cut and be done with it. save you lot of time. but if you really wana cut it dont use a cutting torch use your grinder

just send it to be cut and be done with it. save you lot of time. but if you really wana cut it dont use a cutting torch use your grinder

My issue is I don't have anyone close to deal with as far as machining goes. Guess I'll have to beat the bushes for someone with a fixed bandsaw.

Thanks for the help guys! Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

DO NOT cut the head with a torch.

I cut mine off with a cutoff wheel on a grinder.

Do some research first as to where you are going to buy your side intake from. Think about where the bolt/stud holes are going to go, and how many you are going to use.

We cut mine with a circular saw with a Dewalt metal cutting paper blade and it worked perfect, than had the rest milled flush.

We cut mine with a circular saw with a Dewalt metal cutting paper blade and it worked perfect, than had the rest milled flush.

How close did you cut to the head?

Anyone got any picks of what I need to take off?

What was the cost to mill the rest off?

it cut pretty close to the head, the rest i just had milled off. To mill the rest flush was $300, ill try to get up some pics

Last edited:
I've done em in pinch with a sawzaw.... :hehe: :hehe: not joking either.

Otherwise a grinder with a wheel o death on it, when done Bridgeport

Ya, thats what haisley wanted for cut and mill mine but than i had to send em my head and thats a hell of a shipping bill

if you cut it with a torch (which you shouldnt) it will harden the material at the cut and trying to machine it will ruin any end mills. Like everyone has said, band saw or cut off wheel. The closer you get, the less machine work you will be payin for