Intake temp ?'s

farmboy3510

What is the optimum temp to be below or at to make the most power when pulling? I going to put a temp sensor in the intake to see what mine is. I do not think that my stock intercooler is keeping up. Would water help or would that just band aid the problem. Thanks for any of the help.

I run an intake temp sensor in the intake right next to the intake horn. I run a air to air cooler with a set of 5500 cfm fans sucking through them. The 1 run that i forgot to turn the fans on the temps got 500+. Normally it runs between 150-190 at the end of the track depending on the outside temps and doesnt matter if i have my 3.0 or unlimited single on they are both with in those two #

Jeremy what did you use for a sensor? I have a 1/8" Thermocouple in the intake horn and only see about 200*

Same as you, 1/8" thermocouple that were made for exh temps but i had a few extra so i stuck it in the intake. Jarred are you still running a stock cooler? I run a big sperco.

Mine is one I had laying around also. On my data logger I see it is still going up at the end of the run and suspect that its not fast enough for what I am trying to do with it. Anyone have experience with something that is faster?

Mine is one I had laying around also. On my data logger I see it is still going up at the end of the run and suspect that its not fast enough for what I am trying to do with it. Anyone have experience with something that is faster?

Who's data logger are you running?

Mine does the same thing it continues to climb until i let out of it at the end of the track, never does level off

The TS Logger.

Ok where did you get it because there is a truck at my shop with one of those on it and the owner said they called Dennis and he said they didnt build it and i need software for the stinking thing

The problem y'all are dealing with is called sensor hysterisis - we use Type K's in applications that require near-instantanous response time.

I've never spec'd a sheathed probe in any part of the intake tract.

You know now that you say that i had a probe in my head when i sent it out that was thin and came to a sharp point (is that the type K) and when it came back it was gone. Thats why i used the exh probe. The exh probes would always be sheathed right?

Yes, exhaust probes are sheathed (though bare junctions are great for testing).

Most temp probes are Type K - should have posted "exposed-junction" (unsheathed) above - they have superior response.

I was told that I need to keep the temps below 120, is that realistic? After reading this there probly no way that my stock intercooler is keeping up.

Sure - below 120*F would be good... Cummins spec's the ideal cylinder charge air temp range as 60-90*F.

Single chargers can generate CAC inlet temps over 350*F, and air/air cooling reduces the differential to ~25*F at WOT (disregarding heat soak)... non-IC twins can push 500*F+ air into the CAC.

Some of the OEM CACs are actually pretty efficient, such as the 3rd Gen Ram's.

If you're too hot, use water - it provides benefits beyond cooling (increases mean cylinder pressure).