Intercooler

JerrodGlover

Pulling God
Quick project overview: 41 Chevy regular cab with 9' box on 01 extended cab Dodge frame. Owner wants 500 hp. and daily drive with 38" tires.

The question: New body doesn't leave room for intercooler or Radiator up front. Radiator is going into bed with some fans with no problem. My first idea was to go with an air to water and a heat exchanger but now that sounds like trouble. Anyone think that a 16"x16"x3" air to air will be enough? I was thinking about that and some water injection if needed.

if he isnt towing it might work for 500 hp.. if the core was 4"thick there would be enough airflow, provided its not a cheap core. he would heat soak the thing if he is really working it.

might be able to due with out an intercooler. might be personal preference but i am around 450 at the rear wheels without an intercooler with little mods done to the engine, and mine is a daily driver when i have time from work to drive it. depending on if he has to have one look in the medium to heavy duty truck salvage yards there are several types of intercoolers that you could use to fit in that set up.

My first idea was to go with an air to water and a heat exchanger but now that sounds like trouble. Anyone think that a 16"x16"x3" air to air will be enough? I was thinking about that and some water injection if needed.

If you are already going to mount the rad in the bed.... why not go with the air/water setup? There are some interesting advantages to the whole air/water thing.

Run the air/water rad/heat echanger on top the radiator... most air/water intercoolers take up about the same room as a large battery, so under the hood shouldn't pose much of a problem. Have you checked out frozen boost.com? They sell complete packages.

:Cheer: