Intermittant 400 rpm idle drop and miss at 3k today?

Blackbumper

Could be worse!
Got the turbo back on today with a new gasket and took it out for a test beat drove around for 15 minutes everything seemed so I parked it. Started up again 30 minutes later to move it and it seemed to have more of a lope to it while backing up let off the go pedal and it dies. Start it back up and it would barely idle at 600 you had to baby it to get it to stay running. (I normally have the idle right under 1000 and it has been that way for 7 or 8 pulls with no fluctuations at all untill today and always ran great.) I then brought the rpm up to 3,000 in neutral and it had a popping sound that started at about 2,700 and continued up untill 3,000 that's when I let off. Did that three or four times and then shut it off for a half hour only to start it up and have it run close to normal with the idle at 900 and no popping at 3,000. Any ideas sticking injector, air in fuel, ??????????
Thanks

Mine has fired over backwards twice, theres no missing it when the stacks are whistling and smoke pouring out from under the hood.

Smokem said:
Did the motor fire backwards?

No I'm sure it didn't fire backwards because the hood was up and the smoke was still coming out of the exhaust side. After messing with it again today I am wondering if the slight missing at 2800 to 3200 was there all the time. The only way you can hear it is if you are standing at stack height and have it at that rpm so I never have had a chance or need to do so. Let me throw this out there when I first got the truck and started to disassemble it the number 1 barrel on the pump got turned slightly while takeing off the DV holder I was able to turn it back based on the paint marking on the pump, if that is slightly off what would the symptoms be?

How can a motor fire backwards? I've never heard of that before.

Everything works fine backwards (Except the oil pump). If you have a bad battery or just happen to let off at the wrong time when starting it, it will fire over backwards. I didnt think these ones would do it but I have done it myself. I dont know if the 98.5+ trucks will do it as they have a brain but the 12vers will.

That's interesting. I have never heard of a motor firing backwards. Does that mean the exhaust now becomes the intake and the intake now becomes the exhaust? LOL

BgBlDodge said:
That's interesting. I have never heard of a motor firing backwards. Does that mean the exhaust now becomes the intake and the intake now becomes the exhaust? LOL

Thats exactly what happens!!