Intermittent dead pedal

TX_5.9

A buddy of mine just purchased a 2000 model from his brother. Pretty clean truck aside from the missing dash. Problem it has is an intermittent dead spot while accelerating. Doesn't do it all the time and he says worse on first take off of the day.

Put my scanner on it to read what was happening and everything read normal until we hit the dead spot. At that point I was reading 100% throttle input but only 30% engine load with the pedal to the floor. At times it would clear up on its own but it would always clear up by pressing the clutch and letting the rpms come down.

The only code that kept coming back was injection control circuit malfunction. Would this be a bad APPS or bad VP??

Yea. I can't remember the exact way other than try and find the directions used for a timbo apps sensor.

Sounds like a VP. Usually a gamble, so I always keep an Apps on hand to try first. Usually if it's apps, you can pump pedal and it'll come back.

Try reseting the apps first if that doesn't fix it i would replace it.

This is the easiest way to "reset" the Apps

APPS Reset Procedure
This procedure has shown to help 24 valve ISB engines. It is basically teaching the flyby wire accelerator on these trucks to reread the position of the pedal and it's limits. Most complaints this will help with is poor acceleration, improper shifting, bucking in 5 and 6 speeds. Has been known to increase fuel mileage in some instances.

1. Set parking brake
2. Disconnect negative battery cables on both batteries
3. Turn ignition key to run(to drain any remaining capacitors)
4. Let truck sit for 30 minutes( this is the recommended minimum)
5. Return ignition to OFF position
6. Reconnect both batteries and secure, not a timed event
7. Turn key to run position(not start) and depress accelerator pedal slowly all the way to the floor
8. Allow pedal to return to top position slowly
9. Turn ignition switch OFF
10.Release parking brake

Sounds like a VP. Usually a gamble, so I always keep an Apps on hand to try first. Usually if it's apps, you can pump pedal and it'll come back.
Every so often he could get it to come back by pumping the pedal.....is that indicative of the APPS and not the pump?

Was for me when i had the same issue. The pump did go out a year later though.

I second the APPS mine (01 HO) did the same thing down to how I needed to recover the engine with engaging the clutch I also could never use cruse control, because it would always dead pedal. threw a Timbo apps at it and haven't had a problem in 2 years.

A buddy of mine just purchased a 2000 model from his brother. Pretty clean truck aside from the missing dash. Problem it has is an intermittent dead spot while accelerating. Doesn't do it all the time and he says worse on first take off of the day.

Put my scanner on it to read what was happening and everything read normal until we hit the dead spot. At that point I was reading 100% throttle input but only 30% engine load with the pedal to the floor. At times it would clear up on its own but it would always clear up by pressing the clutch and letting the rpms come down.

The only code that kept coming back was injection control circuit malfunction. Would this be a bad APPS or bad VP??

I need the error code to diagnose it.
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes

As for APPS sensor issues that typically will have a APPS code for it so now you can let that go if there is no APPS code. As for the Injection pump is possible for this to happen but most of it caused from AC noise from the alternator that fries out the PSG on the VP44.

I threw a ppump at it and that fixed mine.

Not required... I hate to say it but not everyone can keep p-pumping everything because it broke. Eventually you have to learn to deal with the computer and electronics and understand what failed. No this is not a poke at you but as for genral solution to a dead pedal problem it not a proper solution.

I did understand what failed. I took care of the problem so that it would not happen again.

I'll have him send me the codes and I'll post them for you Mopar.

P0121
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/150-p0121-apps-sensor-volts-do-not-agree-idle-validation-signal

P0216
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/161-p0216-fuel-injection-pump-timing-failure

The P0216 code is a lubricity issue in the timing piston typically. This piston was seized up in the housing with a steel sleeve. Now remember this piston is harden steel!
psi9x.jpg

I also have a question. after I performed the apps rewire I get a dead pedal randomly. I can let rpms fall, feather pedal and all is good. is there a chance performing the rewire it shorted out my apps sensor?

There is absolutely no reason to rewire the APPS sensor or wiring. The only thing you most likely done is either damaged the ECM or have a wore out APPS sensor. If the APPS sensor was damaged in any way you will have error codes. But not necessarily with the ECM. Dead pedal comes from 2 places... VP44 or APPS sensor. 99.9% of the time APPS will throw a code if dead pedal is APPS caused. But VP44 cause there is no codes.