Intermittent Gauges not working abs and brake light on

chris lang

Once in a while my gauges drop out. All if them. And the abs and brake warning light will be on. The needles move when I turn the key on. They will eventually come on while driving, just haven't been able to check anything when it actually happens because they come back as soon as I can get to them.
Any pointers on where to start? I looked at the diagrams in class today and didn't see anywhere that both the gauges and abs/brake light were on the same circuit.

Did you check your grounds? Or maybe the board itself has some bad, broken solder points. You can pick up a gauge cluster for about 200.

I had similar problem , it was intermittent . one of my batteries was going bad I changed it and all is good. Have your bats load tested and make sure than go from there.

I haven't checked anything, I only have Sundays to myself so I'm trying to find places to check this weekend if I get time.

Not really , but the abs and brake light would come on and go off randomly and throw about 6 dif abs codes and a couple times I got a code for the overhead console communication . My gauges would cycle when the key was turned on and the little red light would come on when u went to crank the engine . New battery and all that has gon away

Id say it's a good possibility my batteries are/are going bad. Same ones that were in the truck when I bought it 7 years ago, sat through 3 deployments, sits most of the summer since I'm on my bike, and a questionable driver side clamp.
It hasn't acted up all week

WOW 7 years is beyond any expected life cycle! I'm lucky to get three! You must have had them on a trickle charge when gone?!

My optimas are just now dying with only periodic use over the last 7 years. I can't seem to revive them now ?

Sent from my Rotten Apple

This is worst case scenario, but I very recently ran into this and it was a bad ECM on a 2007.5 Cab & Chassis.
It started doing random stuff, turning on the dome lamps, ABS light, brake light, then one day, bang, dead on the roadside.

Owner called me for an ECM and a TIPM (which can also cause random lights), then came over and I flashed his VIN into my ECM with EFI Live.
Interestngly enough, we hooked his ECM up and it presented with "NO VIN or OPERATING SYSTEM" and I was able to flash in an O/S I had here.
He put his ECM back on, drove it 50 miles, bang! dead as a doornail again! No Operating System Found...AGAIN.

My point is, it can literally be ANYTHING causing these faults, but suspecting the ECM is definitely a valid possibility. So is the TIPM.

Mark.

Sorry guys, broke a tie rid last week and found my rotors were pitted so priorities shifted. But I got er back together, gauges did the same thing when I first started her to drive to the alignment shop, they came on after driving a short distance. Then this morning as I pulled into work they dropped out again. Great I thought, now I can try to diagnose it before I clock in! Then they came back as I backed into my parking spot.

Well I think I fingered er out. Checked codes, had a fan speed sensor and 1587 short to ground code. The fan clutch connector was already broke and I zip tied it together a couple years ago. It worked out a little and the bracket was loose. Pushed the connector together tighter and rezip tied it. Tried to tighten the bolt and it snapped right off so I zip tied that ****er up too.
Cleared codes, been driving a week now and it hasn't happened again.