IP going bad?

B18B1LS1

My buddy just bought a '95 2500 and it is SLOW. We cut a zero plate and slid it all the way forward, turned the starwheel all the way in, slid the AFC housing up, did a BHAF, and straight-piped it this weekend. It is SLOW still, it might have gained about 10 hp from all that and no smoke at all, runs as clean as a gasser! This thing would literally run a 20 second pass at best its that bad. It has good fuel pressure post filter at all times too. What are we doing wrong, or what should we look for to fix? I'm new to this 2nd gen stuff still. Thanks!

B18B1LS1 said:
My buddy just bought a '95 2500 and it is SLOW. We cut a zero plate and slid it all the way forward, turned the starwheel all the way in, slid the AFC housing up, did a BHAF, and straight-piped it this weekend. It is SLOW still, it might have gained about 10 hp from all that and no smoke at all, runs as clean as a gasser! This thing would literally run a 20 second pass at best its that bad. It has good fuel pressure post filter at all times too. What are we doing wrong, or what should we look for to fix? I'm new to this 2nd gen stuff still. Thanks!

With all that fuel you just dumped in, I would seriously consider bumping the timing up to at least 16.5 to 18 degree's total. What kinda shape is the fuel filter in?? I would turn the star wheel back a bunch, slide the AFC housing back a little, and just see if it respond's any better. Normally, these truck's scream with what you did. Let us know, and I hope this help's ya, Gary

On edit: Are you sure you put the plate back in the right way. Not sayin ya did, just tryin to cover all the bases

Check for boost leaks.
Use a 4" by 2" rubber fernco coupling, and bush the pvc fittings down to a air hose connection.
15-20psi is all you need to find them. Use some soapy water and spray everything.
My boost leak was on the intercooler on the last pass.
Another boost leak problem area is the lower intercooler 90 degree boots, they wear a hole through them because of the sheetmetal that is right there.

Last edited:
I'll be sure to check on both and see what happens. But even if the truck won't make power with the stock timing and a possible boost leak it should be at least dumping smoke regardless right? That's why I was thinking there was more of a problem than just poor performance. I was hoping to go full-tilt with the settings and then just "fine tune" it from there.
Also, the fuel filter is brand new so it should be good to go there!

Last edited:
tony597fitter said:
Check for boost leaks.
Use a 4" by 2" rubber fernco coupling, and bush the pvc fittings down to a air hose connection.
15-20psi is all you need to find them. Use some soapy water and spray everything.
My boost leak was on the intercooler on the last pass.
Another boost leak problem area is the lower intercooler 90 degree boots, they wear a hole through them because of the sheetmetal that is right there.

This was my first guess to look for, let us know how ya make out :pop:

Just a simple thought. Is it getting full throttle? Have your buddy mash the pedal and you check to see if the linkage is moving all the way forward. You should do this with the engine NOT running by the way.