is a Big Brother a S400 aka B2?

IC-Smoke

Oh SNAP!
Im looking to make a set of twins, and Ive found a lead on a S400 but im not sure if its the "big brother" but Id like to use it as a bottom turbo. Ive seen a few setups with a B1 /B2 in some signatures but how would that perform?

thanks guys

Ian

This is going off memory so dont quote me. The S400 typically has a 3.78 turbine inducer and a 2.91" compressor inducer. The S4T has a 4.4" turbine inducer and a 3.4" compressor inducer. The S4T also has a 1.45AR turbine housing where as the S400 is 1.32. The S4T is a much bigger turbo and a lot harder to spool then a S400.

Thanks, the main reason I ask is cause I saw a set in someones sig that had a 62/71/14 on top of a big brother and was just kinda tryin to get a idea of what kinda set up that would be.

Nathan and I both went through this a few years ago, seems the 24V likes the S400 better and the 12V's (or mine) liked the B/B over the BHT3B.....call it close to a 400!

That combo should work fine but a Bullet on top would have been better match.......I think! I do know that the HX-40/BB combo was a little off, much better with the SPS 66 on top!

Chime in again Nathan, you have delt with this more than I.

Jim

The Big Brother does like more from a secondary because it flows 120lbs/min. The S400 is 96lbs/min. The 40/S400 is good but trying to shove 25% more through the same turbo is why the bullet or 66's is a better choice but a 64 would work well too. There is very little difference in flow between the 64's and 66's in reality.

The big bro flows 120lbs. Hmmm... the best numbers I can find on my charger are also around 120lbs. I would have figured the new expensive charger would blow my old 2 stroke charger away. :rockwoot: My charger is 85mm/4.25 .95ar intake side, 4.25/3.8 1.39 exhaust side.
My 68 is too big for the small charger, but when it starts to light, it goes to 85psi real fast.

The S4T is a old school turbo without extended tip. That is why the newer 80mm wheel S400's in better compressor covers flow about the same.

Ian....You going to use your PS66 in the twins? I'm looking at hanging something under my PS66, so some I'm interested in hearing what would be a good combo.

Last edited:
Double J said:
Ian....You going to use your PS66 in the twins? I'm looking at hanging something under my PS66, so some I'm interested in hearing what would be a good combo.

that may be a little big for a top charger in a twin set-up.....it would be really laggy for street driving.

Double J said:

You could find a big Garrett like Brandon...3.625" inducer:hehe:

An S480 would work really good!
Chris

Graphic Man said:
that may be a little big for a top charger in a twin set-up.....it would be really laggy for street driving.
Not to concerned with the lag. The Smarty helped out considerably for daily driving (higher settings) with the ProStreet66, so it may still keep a big set of twins streetable. If I want to really start scooting, I turn Smarty down and the Comp is turned up.

Signature600 said:
You could find a big Garrett like Brandon...3.625" inducer:hehe:

An S480 would work really good!
Chris
Hey Chris...where can I find info on the S480? I'm a little behind on the Twin Turbo application talk.:bang

S480 is a 80mm compressor S400...the downside to it is it's about double the price of a 74mm compressor most places you find them! I think the compressor cover is different too.

Someone more familiar with them should chime in here with more precise info...but there's a general idea!

BTW, a PS66/S480 should cool 700+ easily!
Chris

Yeah but I don't think a VP44 powered 24v will move the fuel and air that you were Jim...I've seen pictures of your tach pegged on the dyno:hehe:

I know where the is an HC5A with a 26cm HT3B housing, and a 3.5" inducer compressor. That one could be fun:D
Chris

Signature600 said:
Yeah but I don't think a VP44 powered 24v will move the fuel and air that you were Jim...I've seen pictures of your tach pegged on the dyno:hehe:

I know where the is an HC5A with a 26cm HT3B housing, and a 3.5" inducer compressor. That one could be fun:D
Chris

TDR readers rigs, taken at M/M 04'........I still hang it out and start coming off around 3700 just so I can see how fat the graph is.

I know were I can get an HX-82, primed and ready to go......there for the asking!

Jim

Cool...HX-82's are NICE! I've seen 3 - 5.0" inducer HX-82's on an alcohol engine. Talk about airflow:D

Also had a chance to buy one for $600 once...never figured I'd need it:hehe:
You oughta try one Jim!
Chris