Is a fire jacket needed for people running Nitrous?

imelmo

Go away, I'm 'batin'!
Is a fire jacket needed for people drag racing and running nitrous? I didn't notice anything in the rule book about it and hasn't been an issue before at an event other than Truckfest a couple of years ago. Just wanna make sure.

I cant remember the times but nhra I think when you get to 10's then you need one. Either that or 9's but ill bet on 10's.

That's what I thought too but at Bandimere they wanted everyone who was running nitrous to have one regardless of what time they ran.

fire jacket has never been enforced with my father runnin in the 11's with nos, thsi is at houston too, but you would look cool wearin one

A fire jacket is required by NHRA for running nitrous, I know because I had to buy one.

rockjeep73 said:
A fire jacket is required by NHRA for running nitrous, I know because I had to buy one.

I see you are right. Just went through the rule book. Guess I never had to worry bout that one, so I didn't know.

I don't when your leaving, but Summit or Jegs sells them for about $40. Maybe have it shipped to DI if they don't mind.

BUICKpowerSIX said:
I see you are right. Just went through the rule book. Guess I never had to worry bout that one, so I didn't know.
Wow, that's a new and dorky rule! Any non-OEM turbocharger or nitrous quicker than 13.99 requires a 3-2A/1 fire jacket??? BTW, they don't list it under the General Regulations, but they do list it under ET racing (Page 25 of the 2007 edition). I heard about this from Paul Breedlove originally, when he was harassed for his 12-second 24V since it had twins on it. Makes about as much sense as requiring a steel flexplate shield to be replaced every 5 years...

Regards,
Michael Pliska