Is there such a thing as too much air?

PRattenbury

Neophyte
Lets say I had a 12 valve street truck, running a big single like a Silver Bullet and a pump like a Stoopid pump or a Dragon Flow. Now, assume I have a fairly good sized cam and fly cut stock pistons, with the lower end balanced and a Fluidampr. Also, we'll say I cut the intake off my head and used a ZZ Fabrication intake, and did a good street port job on the head, heavy duty springs, Ti retainers, hardened keepers, o-rings, studs and so forth. Why not throw a Spearco intercooler as well. Would this hypothetical engine perhaps be flowing too much air? Is there a point where this could happen? I've heard the term 'put the fire out', but I honestly don't know what might cause it. Just wondering as I dream up my 'dream engine'. Thanks!

The turbo will only flow as much air into the engine as it can use. You cannot run a diesel lean without the use of drugs (NOS). So no, there is no such thing as to much air IMHO, any internal combustion engine is nothing more than an air pump, the more efficiently it can move air into and out of the combustion chamber the better off you are.