Is this a legal hitch

It'll meet most sanctioning bodies rules. It's reese style and that's the first thing most look for.

The bar in the second pic going up to the center of the bed looks like it goes to the gooseneck plate. Some sanctioning bodies may call that a trick hitch. Even if it doesn't go to the goose neck plate, they may call it illegal since it goes under the truck so far. My self I would call it legal. I believe all sanctioning bodies should let you build what ever hitch you want, reece style on not with full hieght adjustability as long as it doesn't go past the center of the rearend, and minimum 46" from the center of the rearend to the inside of the hook point. I have seen way too many reece style hitches break in many ways. I believe it would be alot safer than a reece style. Also with the better adjustablitly, no one can say they can't adjust the hieght any lower.

Last edited:
Thats what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure. I built it that way cause I dont think the 2 going up would be enough. the 2 bars going forward go to a bar I welded in right above the diff cover for strength. It will adj between 22"-26". I hope schieds will let me in, plan on making that my first big pull with some different competition.
Thanks for the help.
Scooter

Back