Isuzu from a Chevy Luv?

Mr.Diesel

I came for the party!
Got any good ideas for a swap for this little motor? 1981 Chevy Luv truck 4x4 with a great running drive train, frame shot. I could pick it up for little to nuthin, need some ideas...

Isuzu had like 38HP. Dad had one, and it would do 85 if you had a tail wind. Going up a hill would require 4th gear. Great truck got about 38 mpg. If the glow plugs were good, I have seen it start in -10 F not plugged in. Like you said the body/frames were junk.

Ya I had an 81 gasser and it wasnt much better...use 4-low a lot! But it would be a fun tinker around project, like stickin it in a S-blazer or Explorer...I just wondered what any ones ideas are, what would be a simple platform for a swap. Of course once it's in a little more tinkering could net somemoer usable power...I'm sure I still have a turbo from my sand rail around here...

Why?

There is much more better engines available ....

Would be ok in an s10. Explorer weighs too much! I would think a sidekick or something.

Why?

There is much more better engines available ....

Price/fun...yes I know there are better out there. But just because I new Mega might be better than my 03 doesnt mean I can afford it. $100 for the entire truck, driven home is a lot different than what I would have to pay for a 4bt or some thing like it.

I am as we speak putting one in a 95 Isuzu Rodeo. It fits perfect. I should be driving it in a few weeks, Im gonna turbo and crank it up a little. Im hoping for 100 or so hp. The luv i bought for 200 bucks with 100k mi on it. The engine was in perfect shape and the truck was rusted to pieces. ill post pics later.

The biggest thing I would put that in would be a samuri or someting similar. I know guys that have the 3.3 cummins with about 95hp in an explorer and an s10 and they both get close to 40mpg's but they say they are far from quick. I would think that engine would be crazy weak and top out at 45mph on a good day in a bigger vehicle especially if it really only has 38hp. I dont konw the hp rating if the 38hp was just a joke.

I think a tube buggy would be sweet for that setup.

How about a Suzuki Samurai?

Ding Ding Ding fixed the spelling for you tho :D

Here is my Samurai with a VNT25 turbo'd isuzu 1.8l from a chevette (the C223 is a very similar engine to the 4FB1):
Immediately after turbo install:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGo6xDwaqcs&feature=channel_page

Dyno (58hp/82ftlbs @ 21lbs boost):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcFcnkoU_kQ&feature=channel

Turned out to be a badass little swap sounds sick going down the trail with the VNT, but sadly its for sale....damn burnt allison clutches

58 wheel hp with a turbo and some fuel screw gives me plenty of hope that it will carry my rodeo along nicely. Id bet 100 hp at the flywheel would be plenty. Where are you all getting the garrett vnt 25 turbos from? i see people putting them on tons of little diesels. I have some old tdo4 and 5 turbos off some gasser 4 bangers I planned on throwing on the luv engine. maybe some twins with a hx35 big turbo. Any bets on how much boost it will take before she blows?

:doh:

Thanks professor spell it right.:thankyou2:

Nice looking swap. Any eng pics?

Just giving you a hard time haha

PICT00462.jpg

PICT00472.jpg

PICT0062.jpg

Oh, and i got the turbo rebuilt off ebay for about 300...it was worth it. I've read that some dodge dealers still have new VNT25's for the Dodge Shelby Daytona's. Only made the VNT edition in 1990. I think they made 1,500 extra VNT25's for use other than in a daytona.