It's Only Money!

loadurown

Bought this '97 Ram 3500 2wd with 300k miles in March 2011. Had a new job and needed a tow rig immediately. It was obvious that the "new" truck needed some work, but didn't appear to be abused or modified (except for 5th wheel rails and straight pipe exhaust). Fuel Shutoff Solenoid on first day! Total diesel ignoramus, had to go to school right away. Paid the Stupid Tax at the dealer, but needed the truck ASAP. Serviced engine (oil/filter/fuel filter/coolant), transmission (47RE), and differential, and took off for a 1300 mile joyride with a 16k 5th wheel. Good way to sort out the bugs!

2600 miles later I was completely hooked. Also had a short list of maintenance items, with #1 being a better transmission. After a ticklin' the internet ivories for several days, it looked like a trip to Garmon's Diesel Performance (GDP) was probably in my future. In the meantime, I enjoyed rebuilding the starter with LarryB's giant solenoid contacts and solenoid lead diode. A complete rebuild of the front end with XRF bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, and idler arm, all in the cool Georgia summertime. Of course, tackled the front bearings and brakes at the same time. For good measure, tossed the Saginaw steering box and intermediate shaft for a Borgeson box and shaft. WOW! What an improvement! Drives true and steering feel at all speeds and road conditions is excellent. Only thing left was an odd "knocking" in the front end, but this was quickly isolated to the steering column lower bearing. Fixed this with RockSolid bushing repair. Another great product.

One more light tow to Illinois with the old tranny and cracked open the kids' piggy banks for the big trip to GDP. I went to talk to Jeff about what I needed for my purposes. He didn't try to sell me, but his common sense approach with absolutely zero B.S. told me I was in the right place. Following my 48 Hour Spend Big Money rule, I waited and used what little sense I've still got. Ended up with the Killer Dowel Pin (KDP) fix and a GDP Stage II transmission with billet flex plate, triple billet converter, and billet input shaft. Pressure check showed pinholes in the cooler lines so he replaced those as well. It went to work on another long heavy pull three days later.

To say that I am amazed is a ridiculous understatement. The Jeff Garmon transmission upgrade completely changed the way the truck drives, and all for the better. No more slipping, odd shifting, or TC lock-up issues. Much more useable torque and HP to the rear wheels. It wasn't cheap, but I paid for expertise and craftsmanship, and I damn sure got it. No, I don't get a dime for plugging his shop, but he and the boys deserve all the good words I have read on this forum and elsewhere. I'm sure there are other top-of-the-line diesel transmission builders, but I can vouch for this one.

I only have one complaint, and I may have to sue Jeff because of it. I've got the THIS IS SO MUCH *&^%$#@! FUN bug! I don't have to plan for lane changes two miles in advance anymore. Highway acceleration is fantastic. Getting away from traffic lights is a breeze. Climbing a steep grade is easy. No tickets yet, but I will have a big jackass-eatin-cactus grin when I get one.
Looks like BHAF, gauges (pyro, boost, trans temp), and P7100 mods/tuning are in my near future. Need a little more motor on those long highway climbing pulls. Sport headlights and suvlights harnesses go in this weekend. Yeah, already replaced headlight switch & harness with NAPA part. It was smoked, but not covered by TSB or recall. See you soon, Dr. Garmon! :Cheer:

Welcome!!!!! You have officially started in the endless, money pit pursuit of more power and to go faster!!!!!!

LOL

Back