jd experts we need help!!! 2k 9400 tranny?

DEZLFREK

my licence plate says it
ok so our 2000 9400 series has a tranny problem.. im sure its a big problem but im hopeing someone here can help.. anyway i was pulling a cultivator the other day and it broke but thats not the issue.. while i fixed it the tractor sat and idled for about half hour. when i got in and went to take off i let the clutch out and it slipped, maybe 2 seconds at most.. this was no load in gear b 3 which running as we were light pulling is 8.3 mph at 1240 rpm, i pushed the clutch back in and let it out.. it took right off then.. i went about 100 feet and dropped the cultivator down and the trans slippage light came on, i lifted it back up and put the clutch in.. it stopped blinking, so i took off again in about 50 feet the light came back on.. again no load.. so i put the clutch in and shut the motor off.. read the book for about 3 mins and went to restart it.. it just clicked. like it was hydrauliced.
so after a bit i went and got batteries. my dad had said they were getting weak but it wasnt that, so we went and got a starter this am.. not that.. disconnected the flywheel and it started right up.. so the input of the tranny is locked up somehow.. we pulled it out of the field today and it rolls just fine.. even with the clutch peddle in we cant get the input to move more than something like 10* after it sits for about 5 seconds and you hit the starter again.. it moves but barely.. starting monday we are pulling the cab so we can get the tranny out but hopefully someone here can help us save some money on this.. they said a new tranny is around 17k.. thats going to hurt us bad.. thanks

bummer. i was hoping some one had a magic bullet for me...

Think I heard this same story on a JD and it was the hydraulic pump locked up, think it was a 8970 though.

that would make sense because engaging the clutch makes no difference.

Any luck yet? Try starting the tractor like a 4020.. turn the steering wheel back and forth when you try to start.. and put a 10,000 psi gauge in the SCV... It could be the piston failed in the main pump.. but I don't think that should have caused the trans to slip.. unless you have metal building up somewhere.. I'll have to look at the hydraulic diagram for that trans...
Bryan

well monday we first pulled the hydro pump off the fron of the tranny and i didnt help..
pulled the cab and tranny.. finally got the call from the shop today that all the clutches we gone.. not great but it could have been worse.. we only have 750 acres left to cultivate and harrow.. our old school d6 ag is plugging away.. im seeding and rolling behind with the tk100..
thanks for the imput guys..

2011-11-28141405.jpg

2011-11-28141759.jpg

2011-11-28141937.jpg

2011-11-28142034.jpg

2011-11-28142247.jpg

Most Techs wouldn't have tried that job in the field.. Looking good thou...

I rebuilt a few 8200 trannies back in the day. When I first read your clutch engage problems I was ready to say the trans was toast. If I'm not mistaken those transmissions need a shift recalibration every so many hours.

huh. no one said anything about a recal interval Lee.. ill have to let my dad know about that. i guess it was hi/low clutch pac that let go.
this is a 4 gear and 4 range select with hi/lo tranny not the auto shift. thing must have wieghed like 3k.

Clutch packs wear over time and shift timing needs recalibrate to compensate for wear. Especially due to the amount of weight thesetractors pull. The ones I were into spent most of their life pulling a shlt tanker. All that weight sloshing around sure worked them hard! I did not personally do the recals so I'm not sure if special equipment is needed or if it's done from the operator station.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any calibrations for an MST transmission. (Manual Shift Trans). did it have a 12 or 24 speed? same basic trans.. but with a hi/low clutch back... PST would have a cal procedure.. (PowerShift Trans..)
Bryan

Sorry.. I see you said it had the hi/low sift.. so its a 24 speed MST trans..

Last edited:
4sp with a,b,c,d ranges.. whatever that is? manual shift not power shift.

Back