Just bought an 03

waldershrek

Some of you may remember I started a thread a couple weeks ago asking what you guys thought about an 01 I found locally here in NY. Well I opted out of that one and ended up finding an 03 with 86k down in Texas. I just bought it officially today and they're going to ship it right to my door step here in the next two weeks. I spent the day reading and learning about the differences between the 01 and the 03. Looks like Dodge never fixed the front ends:banghead:

The new truck will be a DD with some medium duty towing a few times a year (camper, dump trailer etc). I'm looking to make the truck more reliable with better throttle response and power so let me know what you think about my list:

Airdog pump. I understand the common rail trucks aren't as sensitive about fuel pressure as the VP44 but I still think it's a good idea especially for filtration. Only problem with this is I don't know which draw straw (1 or 5) I need because I don't know if the new truck has the in tank pump or not. I'll have to wait until it gets here to see.

Programmer. I had an Edge Comp on my 01 and I was thinking Smarty s06 for this one but currently I'm thinking maybe Smarty Jr since I really don't need all the power levels of the smarty and I'm worried about hurting the tranny. Is the Smarty Jr enough power?

Track Bar. I'll probably use the stock one until it gets bad and then upgrade but I'm thinking a Thuren bar when the time comes. I know some guys like the Carli stuff too, is there a real difference either way?

Gauges. Probably go with Isspro again. Had them in my 01 and had no complaints. I'm thinking pyro, fuel pressure and tranny temp. Or is boost a must?

Probably do intake and air filter upgrade at some point too.

Other than that I don't plan on going too crazy. Might do some wheels and tires down the road.

Oh and here are some pics:

Attachments

• 001_0001.jpg
    001_0001.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 003_0003.jpg
    003_0003.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 004_0004.jpg
    004_0004.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 008_0008.jpg
    008_0008.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 041_0041.jpg
    041_0041.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 016_0016.jpg
    016_0016.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ohhhhhh that's nice! I've always like the matte rims. Good looking truck.

I haven't had an issue with my 95,02 or 03. People tent to blame the truck for the problems because they are cheap/lazy bastards that don't want to change the parts to fix the issues at hand. I love my 03!!

Loved all 03 I have had. My favorite year 3rd gen and seems to be most reliable IMO. They all have their issues but their good trucks. Seats are so much better too.

fuel rail pressure is a nice gauge to have, I think the JR is more than enough if you're going to leave the transmission completely stock

Thanks guys. I'm not wild about black, my first Camaro was black and I remember swearing to myself I'd never own another black vehicle but I think it's been so long I forgot what it was like trying to keep them clean :doh:

If your looking for a tune and all those guages I would suggest the smart touch.

Diablo Predator runs about $150-$225. It works. It will let you monitor rail pressure, but it's in MPa. It's an option that provides good power. I have no egt issues with it and +60s, but I did upgrade to the he351 and ported the wastegate and cleaned up the exhaust manifold when I swapped to a 2nd gen manifold.

Last edited:
I haven't had an issue with my 95,02 or 03. People tent to blame the truck for the problems because they are cheap/lazy bastards that don't want to change the parts to fix the issues at hand. I love my 03!!

This. I've never had any of the "common" problems everyone seems to have with these trucks. Not even the cracked dashes. From -40 in ND to 115 in OK.

I suggest buying a monitor instead of gauges. I've bought two cts insight monitors so far with no complaints, it simply does more for less with a 5 minute instal. I also can't stand the poor quality of gauge pods.

I would also shy away from an aftermarket lift pump on a stock or mostly stock truck, nothing beats the reliability of a stock lift pump either. I would consider an aftermarket filtration system though..just my two cents.

Where in ny?

I suggest buying a monitor instead of gauges. I've bought two cts insight monitors so far with no complaints, it simply does more for less with a 5 minute instal. I also can't stand the poor quality of gauge pods.

I would also shy away from an aftermarket lift pump on a stock or mostly stock truck, nothing beats the reliability of a stock lift pump either. I would consider an aftermarket filtration system though..just my two cents.

Where in ny?

Yeah the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the Smarty Touch just because of the integrated gauges. I could always get just a fuel pressure gauge for the pump on a steering wheel pod. It's just more money up front that I wasn't planning on spending but you gotta pay to play I suppose.....

I guess you're the first person that has told me that nothing beats the factory lift pump LOL

I am worried about filtration as well as keeping the injection pump supplied so that's why I was going with the Airdog. From what I can tell FASS and Airdog are about the same and I have had good luck with Airdog on my current truck so I was gonna stay with that.

I'm in Cortland, about 30 mins south of Syracuse right off Rt 81

I have some friends in good old Cortland.

I haven't had the greatest luck with aftermarket pumps namely airdog lol. I have been thinking of running two stock pumps on this truck when the time comes

I haven't had the greatest luck with aftermarket pumps namely airdog lol. I have been thinking of running two stock pumps on this truck when the time comes

I've never even heard of cortland lol.

03/04 don't have the best stock pumps on them.

Back