just got an 82 Datsun sd22 diesel, needs transmission and turbo kit

TRUBBS

Can You Keep Up?
just picked up an 82 datsun with a d22 diesel.
it has a toast standard trans, it sounds like nuts and bolts are being chewed up in the bell housing and only gear that works is 4th.
what other trnsmissions will bolt up to it? i found a 86 nissan hard body that i want the body from and its also a 5sp, would that trans work?

also looking to turbo this thing, what size turbo would i want?
thinking about getting a stock wrx 2.0 turno to put on it?

Can't remember exactly I thing the diesel bell housing will bolt to a hard body trans. I used to have one I put into a Mazda pickup.

Can't remember exactly I thing the diesel bell housing will bolt to a hard body trans. I used to have one I put into a Mazda pickup.

thats what im reading, can swap the bell housing over to make it bolt up, gasser has a slightly wider ratio. probably what ill be doing.
now i need to decide what kinda truck i want.
this one is a 82 reg cab long bed 2wd that is about 90% rusted out,
my buddy has a 89 reg cab short bed 4wd gasser with a bad engine but decent body.
was thinking about buying his and swapping the engine over but dont know how utah will do the title change with it being older, I know when we built my 96 psd up from a 460 auto to 7.3 we had to get a the same year or newer engine then the body it was going in.
but i also kinda like the longer bed, but would like the 4wd here in winter

I have talked to the dmv in Provo about doing diesel swaps. They said all that is required is a re title. The year of vehicle, and donor engine wasn't an issue. Also the only year that matters is 67 anything before has no rules. Newer just needs a retitle

I have talked to the dmv in Provo about doing diesel swaps. They said all that is required is a re title. The year of vehicle, and donor engine wasn't an issue. Also the only year that matters is 67 anything before has no rules. Newer just needs a retitle

yeah i bounced around a lot today looking into it, they told me up tell 89 you can engine swap differnt fuel sources without the year mattering, anything after you have to swap a newer engine. so im going to swap this puppy into a better body.

I got her pulled today, going to hopefully start on the turbo manifoild tomorrow, need to find a way to delete the throttle body and have the gas pedal control the pump.

this is the manifold I made. had a gt15 secondary t3/4primary. the pump is pretty easy to convert to manual operation. I will dig around for some pictures of it. think I remember taking a few.
WP_000013.jpg

Last edited:
that manifoild looks sweet, did it clear the factory intake manifold or did you build a new one?

if you could dig up your pictures on the pump that would be Awesome!

if you want you can even text them to me, (801)866-9947

that manifoild looks sweet, did it clear the factory intake manifold or did you build a new one?

if you could dig up your pictures on the pump that would be Awesome!

if you want you can even text them to me, (801)866-9947

also, digging through your photobucket, i seen you had cx racing clutch you put in it? Im sure mine needs a new clutch as i rode/slipped on it alot driving this truck home as it only had 4th gear

any more info? i searched around on ebay but couldnt find it.

Yep it cleared the intake. It was tight though. I can't find the pics of the pump but if you take the cover off of the back you can see the rack that you hook to. Drill a hole straight back from the rack to get your linkage through however you end up doing it. I think I used part of a carburetor and a butterfly shaft to slide in and out, that way it kept sealed. Hope that makes sense.
Then I made some linkage that bolted to the pump that had to move about 2" on the throttle cable end to get 1/4 or so travel on the rack end that way you had full travel on the pedal to get full travel at the rack. If you just hook it straight to the rack you will get about an inch of travel at the pedal to make full rack travel. And it would be very hard to drive.
That's all from my horrible memory so numbers are not exact, but you get the idea.

Yep it cleared the intake. It was tight though. I can't find the pics of the pump but if you take the cover off of the back you can see the rack that you hook to. Drill a hole straight back from the rack to get your linkage through however you end up doing it. I think I used part of a carburetor and a butterfly shaft to slide in and out, that way it kept sealed. Hope that makes sense.
Then I made some linkage that bolted to the pump that had to move about 2" on the throttle cable end to get 1/4 or so travel on the rack end that way you had full travel on the pedal to get full travel at the rack. If you just hook it straight to the rack you will get about an inch of travel at the pedal to make full rack travel. And it would be very hard to drive.
That's all from my horrible memory so numbers are not exact, but you get the idea.

yup makes enough sense that ill have an idea once i tear into it.
do you have anymore info on the clutch you put in it?

Remember to keep the boost low, those are high compression engines with no piston cooling that were not built for boost.

might be a dumb question but i dont now much about these engines so im looking/thinking and learning.
why couldnt one just unhook the rod hooked to the Injection pump that comes up off the Efuel pump and hook up the cable to there? or does that rod have to move inside the Efuel pump also to give more fuel?

Remember to keep the boost low, those are high compression engines with no piston cooling that were not built for boost.

yeah i only plan like 5-7psi, something like 22:1 Cr.
dont think my wrx turbo will work very well so i might buy a cheap china turbo of flea-bay to try, knock off of a garret t3/t4

I'm not sure what rod your talking about? On the back of the pump there is a diaphragm like on an AFC. Its inside the back cover. There is a manifold vacuum like going to it which controls the rack. You have to remove the diaphragm and hook your new linkage right to the rack.

Back