just got injector cups installed now....

dezl

So a buddy and I swapped out all 8 injector cups this weekend, he ended up finishing the truck up for me yesterday because I had to work.

The truck will crank for about 10 seconds before it starts and when im driving it blows a ton of grey smoke (I mean clouds the whole street). When I first took it out and hit the go pedal I got the check engine light. It went off shortly after and hasn't been back on since. Other than the hard start and grey smoke the truck runs perfect. Actually way better than before.

I thought that there was possibly air in the fuel lines or something along those lines but i'm just not sure.

The trucks got the usual stuff, chip, van turbo, hybrid injectors, exhaust. It was never hard to start before the cups were replaced. The truck is a 2000 f250

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:
Its actually air in the hpo system, put a few more miles on it and see if it gets any better

did the truck have leaking cups or blown headgaskets before? The gray smoke may be from water in the exhuast sytem if so. the hard start is like said above air in the HPO system that should go away in a day or so, but the large amounts of gray smoke is kind of odd.

Its actually air in the hpo system, put a few more miles on it and see if it gets any better

could this cause the grey smoke also?

did the truck have leaking cups or blown headgaskets before? The gray smoke may be from water in the exhuast sytem if so. the hard start is like said above air in the HPO system that should go away in a day or so, but the large amounts of gray smoke is kind of odd.

Yes, 2 of the injector cups beat to crap. I got all the new ones in and then the grey smoke started. It doesnt do it at idle, just under load.

could this cause the grey smoke also?

Yes, 2 of the injector cups beat to crap. I got all the new ones in and then the grey smoke started. It doesnt do it at idle, just under load.

should not be smokeing but I supose ive heard of crazyer things...No coolant loss? Oil look good?

should not be smokeing but I supose ive heard of crazyer things...No coolant loss? Oil look good?

Oil looks great.

There was a bit of oil in the coolant after we changed the cups out but not a lot. The coolant was filled last night to about the cold mark and I let it run for about 20 min and this morning is had dropped about a quarter inch. Which I would think could be an air pocket or something like that.

The other thing that confuses me is the truck is running very very smooth and is pulling great, I jumped on the highway last night after it warmed up and was doing 80 before the end of the on ramp.

Last edited:
possiblity one of the cups did not seat right and you are having some coolant seepage, the gray smoke is not normally associated with air in the HPO system. If you have gray smoke after driving 20-30 miles I would begin to question the cups.

possiblity one of the cups did not seat right and you are having some coolant seepage, the gray smoke is not normally associated with air in the HPO system. If you have gray smoke after driving 20-30 miles I would begin to question the cups.

Ill take it out for a drive tonight and put some miles on the truck. As of now it has maybe 5 since the work was done. The cups are pretty straight forward, Im hoping its not them though. They are a pain to do on a lifted truck.

Last edited:

just another thought. The truck doesnt smoke at idle...if a cup was faulty wouldn't it smoke all the time?

changed all fluids and filters and the truck isn't smoking any more and its running great!

Not sure what caused it but its gone now.

the grey smoke is from the iol left in the cylinders and exhaust system it will clear out on it own.

Hi Im new to the site and I was wondering about the Injector cup install are the cups different size than stock? Any performance improvement I thought you had to by injectors all ready built for power strokes? Ive been looking for a way to get more fuel to my truck but stage 1 injectors are expensive.

The "cups" are brass sleeves that the injector sets in. they are pressed into the head and keep the injector isolated from coolant. There are no performance gains by changing cups the only time you need to change them is if you have a leak or if you have the heads off you might as well do them then.

Oh Ok I was thinking of how you can change the ends for different flow in the cummins Thanks

Oh Ok I was thinking of how you can change the ends for different flow in the cummins Thanks

That's nozzles, not cups.

And changing nozzles on a Powerstroke is far different than changing nozzles on a Cummins.

Back