Just lookin for 450hp

Jcummins

$4/gal. Waa?
OK, I have an '01 QC 4X4 5-speed manual
I am looking for 450 hp, that is driveable. Here is what I have so far....
Granatelli 140 hp module
Smarty
S&B intake
4'' exhaust
stock turbo with little brass boost elbow
fass 150
stock clutch, some:thankyou2: how still holding up
BD 60 hp sticks
netted me .......319hp, 828tq on stock injectors, haven't put new ones in yet.
How do I get that last 100hp? I really don't want to have to buy a new turbo, and the Granatelli box has done just as good for me as any other box. So does that just leave me with putting in bigger injectors? I don't want to spew soot threw every gear.
I really need some help here and would like some advice on witch way to go next.
Don M., I'd love to here you tell me to pick up a set of mach 4's, and that I would reach 450hp without driveabilty issues (horrible smoke).
No one has to suggest any other sticks, F1 is the only brand I'll use,(the BDs were free).

get some mach 4s but you might want a turbo if nothing else to keep it semi cool something like a 40 read my sig what I have should be just over your mark and it gets toasty.

without upping the turbo it might be tough. 450 would be easy peasy with a 62 turbo, stage 3 DDP injectors and an edge comp to go along with what you already have. Closer to 500 most likely ;)

I did 436 with my HX40 and it runs cool and all I have is 60HP injectors, there are other mods too, but still...I think some Mach 4's and a HX40 or 35 hybrid would get you real close...

ya a 40 and mach 4s gets warm but not uncontrollable and my pick up is a 5 speed.

Would Mach 4's and water/meth go together without doing the turbo upgrades?
I know I'll have to put on studs, but that was going to happen anyway.
I quess what I'm asking is how much power can I get out of my HX35?
I also know that a turbo upgrade is going to happen eventually, but was waiting to put a little $$ in the bank for a SS turbo.
Has anyone had much luck with water/meth on a daily driver or is it more for sled pulling, heavy towing use?
Do injectors really make a huge difference, can you feel it instantly after installing?
Thanks and hope to keep getting advice.

I made 481 with the mods in my sig.

Look for a used 35 hybrid, or a used 40, shouldn't set you back too much and you can save for a better turbo down the road. My 40 was new but I got a smokin deal on it and couldn't pass it up. With a 5spd either of these turbos will keep your egts reasonably cool.

If you like the Granatelli box/Smarty stack stay with it, if not I would recommend a Drag Comp.

I would sell the BDs, and get a set of F1s or DDPs in the 100hp or higher range. I am currently running Schieds and they make decent power but boy are they dirty. DDPs will be my next injectors. Again shop around for a used set, should save you a couple hundred bucks.

Jcummins said:
OK, I have an '01 QC 4X4 5-speed manual
I am looking for 450 hp, that is driveable. Here is what I have so far....
Granatelli 140 hp module
Smarty
S&B intake
4'' exhaust
stock turbo with little brass boost elbow
fass 150
stock clutch, some:thankyou2: how still holding up
BD 60 hp sticks
netted me .......319hp, 828tq on stock injectors, haven't put new ones in yet.
How do I get that last 100hp? I really don't want to have to buy a new turbo, and the Granatelli box has done just as good for me as any other box. So does that just leave me with putting in bigger injectors? I don't want to spew soot threw every gear.
I really need some help here and would like some advice on witch way to go next.
Don M., I'd love to here you tell me to pick up a set of mach 4's, and that I would reach 450hp without driveabilty issues (horrible smoke).
No one has to suggest any other sticks, F1 is the only brand I'll use,(the BDs were free).

I dynod 315hp with just a comp box and a shift kit in the tranny....Does his HP/TQ seem low anyone?

That seem about right. Thats about a 130-140HP increase over stock at the tires. Can't complain there.

I was happy with my dyno #'s, and crazy about my torque #'s.
Bare in mind I had my stock sticks in during the dyno runs, and the Granatelli box has a TPS wire tap that must work like a redline, because I ran clear up to 3900+ rpms on all 16 runs that the box was turned on.
The smarty did nothing for my hp/tq #'s, but extended my power out through the rpm's.
So now after talking with John at Floor-it, I'm going to go ahead and get a HTT SS turbo, only we can't decide on what size. Any suggestions?

I just installed an HTBG with the 13cm ss housing on my truck. Spools fast like my stock turbo. But I still have stock injectors. :(

SuperDave4x4 said:
I dynod 315hp with just a comp box and a shift kit in the tranny....Does his HP/TQ seem low anyone?
I dyno'd @342 with the mods in my sig

Yeh, I hear ya moneymaker.
450 is were I want to get before I have to start thinking about axles, lockers,ect....
I really just want to do things right in terms of keeping things driveable and reliable. The last thing I want is to be cruiseing down the road and have something break. I would love to sled pull with this truck someday, but for now it just needs to get me from point A to B.
At the same time, I am running out of excuses to give my wife for why I need that next go-fast part.
In reality I want as much as I can get, but right now I just want a solid base at 450hp that I can daily drive and when the next truck gets purchased this one can easily become the weekend event winner.

I did 425 last year with just a edge drag comp, jammer 2's, and a gilliet diesel GSD 64/14 and a ats exhaust manifold. And that was one heck of a combo it ran very very cool. With the same set up but with a smarty/ juice attitude and jammer 4's it ran just as cool but didnt dyno it.

I'm running the 62ss and like it!I'll bet it will be even better with a 24 valve or a Commen Rail.

smoken02 said:
I just installed an HTBG with the 13cm ss housing on my truck. Spools fast like my stock turbo. But I still have stock injectors. :(

Man I Love your truck!!! I hope mine looks Half as nice after I debadge it and put sport bumpers.

sorry didnt mean to get off track..... I just had to get that off my chest...
I feel better now! :hehe:

I would run the 62/13cm ss.The stainless steel housings have enlarged wastegate bores for optimum exhaust flow.The stainless housing will keep the heat reflected at the turbine wheel for quicker spool.And it makes a great top turbo for twins if you want upgrade down the road.