Just wondering..........

Moulder

I bought a '05 Freightliner box van a couple of years ago for parts. The engine is set up like a lot of other Cummins engines with rear mounted geartrain. It is a low mileage engine and i've considered swapping cranks and other accessories to be a Dodge spec engine. Would it be possible to use efi live to put a program on the ecm so it would then be tunable? It would be nice to have this engine to play with and learn the ins and outs of efi. It would suck if it melted down but it wouldn't be my everyday transportation, so not a total loss. Also is there any problems with using efi in a cummins conversion truck that you would know of? Basically could it be used as an alternative to a smarty and running a recovery file?

If it's a 5.9 then It should work once the release support for it. If not painless has a conversion harness and just use an SCI ECM.

Jake

Last edited:
Yes you can change operating systems with efilive but it cannot communicate with a bank ECM.

Jake

If you want it EFILive tuneable you'll need a 2006/2007 CANBUS 5.9L ecm. 2003-2005 SCI ecms are not EFILive tuneable at this point. Dodge/Cummins ecms are the only thing EFILive tuneable, genuine Cummins is a whole different animal. To do a swap use all the electronics from a Dodge/Cummins engine.

Last edited:
Everybody talks about worrying about melting down their truck. You'd have to actually try to do that. Being sensible, it just won't happen man. It being easy to junk your engine is a myth. Well, I guess it'd be EASY. Just not LIKELY to happen on accident. Unless you just jump in and go beyond known safe parameters.