Keep Loosing 3rd in NV4500

BottleFed

I have a very good friend/roomate that has a 2001 Cummins. It is a fairly Pi$$ed off truck. Its twin turboed, Dragon fire pump, 300 horse injectors balanced, so on and so on. It dynoed 636 horse last year on the dyno. He drives the truck every day on the street, sled pulls, and drag races it. I understand that your going to loose a transmission every once in a while but he just lost third again yesterday for the fifth time in a little less that two years. Part of the problem is he uses third in everything he dose. Four wheel drive launch on the street racing and at the track, and also sled pulling. Would be be better off just flipping the bill for a 5600 or is there anyone out there that makes a stronger third gear of some kind? I ask because we are getting far to good at pulling that tranny lol :bang and it also hurts watching him pay 1500.00 bucks for a re-build a couple times a year. Info much needed! Thanks.

Nick

for sled pulling i use 4th gear in 4 low. in these 4500's thats the ONLY gear thats going to handle any amount of power for an extended period, 3rd gear is weak because its on the countershaft and the power flow does not run straight through the transmission like 4th gear, as far as parts go, im not sure who makes upgraded gears and stuff for them

is it the gear its self wearing out or is it the syncro? if it is the gear he might want to spend the extra cash and have the gears cryoed. it will make the gear its self harder but more brittle.

He uses third low for pulling with the weight of the sleds and the sticky tracks we have fourth just really isnt an option. He talked about using second high this year not sure if it will work yet. It has been the actual gear three of four times and the syncro once. If we were aloud to use a little nitrous it might open up fourth for him :) to bad its outlawed. I think the only other option is to upgrade :/

It does not make a difference what tranny is in his truck. It you cant run direct or 1:1 4th in the 5 speed and 5th in the 6 speed, the tranny is going to take the abuse. If he switches to a 6 speed the only thing that will change is you will see him pay 3000$ to rebuild twice a year. Thw best option would be to do a gear swap so he could do his launching in low 4th. That is quite costly to so maybe just slowing down on the truck abuse would be the best option.LOL

Thats good to know! The understanding i had was the 5600 was suppost to be quite a bit stronger. I told him the same thing about the truck abuse. He drives it like a pi$$ed off teenager lol. His money i guess :/ i was just trying to see if there was any other options he could try. Ill let him know that maybe fourth is a better idea. I know he can launch it in 2wd fourth not to sure about 4wd. Maybe a good set of racing slicks for the track and a fourth 2wd will help it live?

What gears are in his truck? Re-gearing could allow him to run direct in the trans for pulling.