knocking in front end i think?

joez farmerboy

well i changed my t-case fluid and used the 4wd for the first time the other day since the change. i was going up a hill to a barn of ours and backed into it then when i went to leave i had to back up to hit the drive back down the hill. when i did i heard a knocking sound i'm thinking in the front. if anyone could help me figure out the problem i would greatly appreciate you. was told to use auto trans fluid for the change and only needed 2 qts. is this right or do i need more atf added?

check your front drive shaft u joints mine made a clunking sound at low speed just out of the blue one day and thats what it was

checked the drive shaft u joints to front axle and the u joints at the wheel te other day when changed brakes they look and feel good to me. someone told me it was the cv joints, would they make a knocking sound if wore out? got new tires at 88000 miles and tech could see very small movement and now has 133000 miles. let me know what you think? really makes the noise with 4x4 locked in if this helps

If you had an IFS truck you might have sloppy CVs, but i'd say its an axle u joint since you have a dana 60

finally got pissed enough at the sound that took the truck to the dealer and they said it is possibably the chain jumpin the gear in the tcase!! anyone want to help rebuilt the tcase? the price i got for new chain, gears and sill is 1400 something does this sound right or are they takin me?:doh:

chain should be around $150 it's not that bad to do, just take your time, and be confident.