knuckle swap

mopar or no car

Will the knuckles fron a 1st gen bolt on to the newer axles? I'm looking for a cheaper way to get locking hubs on the front to help out with mileage. The aftermarket kits are almost $2000. I would love to swap for maybe $100-$200.

How well do the hubs hold up with truck pulling?

Jordan

You can't just put them together. The 1st gen's have Kingpins the 2nd gens have ball joints.

EMS has their reg. duty kit for $1k. You could also look into a D60 from a Ford as parts. Or even better, just swap the whole axle in. 35 spline inners, 30 spline outers, and no CAD. For the money and the effor though, I'd go with the EMS. I plan on it before the winter comes. And thats only in a month or so.

Are the EMS kit holding up well? Do the wheel bearings last longer than the stockers? (I would imagine so) sorry, not trying to highjack

Not to mention the amount of work involved trying to get the caster right and the 2 spring perches welded on straight. :bang

I would be wanting to take the nuckles off a junker. Assuming that I could find a complete axle at a junk yard. That way I wouldn't have to worry about swapping the whole assembly, just unbolt the stock nuckles and put ford ones on.

Jordan

Does anyone make a kit to swap a leaf sprung front end in there? I would love to lose the coil/radial arm setup for leaf springs!

That would be outstanding. That would take care of the trac bar issues for good. I bet someone could make some good money if they designed some bolt on mounts for leaf springs. Then just find a ford donor 1ton.

Jordan