Late CR pistons in early CR??

full pull

Sales&Support Valair Inc
Ive searched this and not come up with the answer that Im looking for.

I know it will work, and I have heard that they are better.

My question is, is there anyone that is running the 04.5+ piston with the 03-04 injector.

I want some input from someone who has done this rather than just hearing yea it will work.

Thanks

I had a customer that was doing the opposite, he ran 03 pistons with 05 nozzles. He didnt do it on purpose, he just swapped a blown 05 motor with a good 03 motor he bought. The truck would smoke really bad even with stock power, got pretty bad mileage, and didnt make very good power at all. Ive had another guy that had 2 03 injectors replaced with 05s and it smoked a little but didnt have a whole lot power, not like it should anyway. I got everything back straight on both trucks and they ran great.

Are you looking to run lots of timing with the smaller spray pattern of the 03 in the larger bowl of the 05?

They're larger diameter - CCs are similiar... but re-entrant injectors' wider spray angle is the problem (not to mention bowl profile).

The guys running 12v and 12v injectors with 04.5+ pistons are doing it wrong??

The 305hp is spraying the outside of a smaller bowl 143*
The 325hp is spraying the inside of a wide bowl 124*

This doesnt look good....looks like a wider bowl would be better....

piston_3.JPG

Last edited:

piston_3.JPG

I'm running 04.5 pistons in my puller...but its a ppumped CR so prolly not what your looking for.

0° incline and a 155° cone angle will allow ~ 36° in the '04.5-07 3.004" bowl.

piston_3.JPG

That looks like too much timing, so you are looking to run more timing by running the larger bowl with the smaller spray pattern.

I always figured the p-pump guys running 05 pistons had custom injectors for those pistons.

I always figured the p-pump guys running 05 pistons had custom injectors for those pistons.

The injector used in that picture was the 124° CR, I'm doing a set now for a 13mm late CR piston 2.8" truck, different but not so custom.

The injector used in that picture was the 124° CR, I'm doing a set now for a 13mm late CR piston 2.8" truck, different but not so custom.

Oh CHIT! 5 melted spots, I didnt catch that. Gary you ran 05 nozzles with 03 pistons? Why?

without going to monotherms,just run a set of QSB 480HP pistons and call it a day, they are the best pistons Cummins has to offer for the CR. the have the same bowl design as the 03-04 piston

without going to monotherms,just run a set of QSB 480HP pistons and call it a day, they are the best pistons Cummins has to offer for the CR. the have the same bowl design as the 03-04 piston

Really cuts down on the nozzles you can use, best option you can't get, second best option is the 6.7L injector.