lb7 coolant system issue

Miller Time

Ok let me start this post buy saying I've done headgaskets on numerous duramax .only difference on this job I installed a set of used 625 arp's (with stock washers) customer was told to use stock washers as the arp's caused coolant leak. Now my issue is 2 weeks later it turned new dex cool black and pressurized the cooling system. I'm gunman pull cups and check for issues their before I pull heads. My question is how would head studs cause a leak compared to a stock bolt?and one more thing being used studs I didn't get instructions and looked up installation on the net. I did 3 steps to 150 then let it sit over night then rechecked them in the am.
Specs on truck are stock Turbo,stock injectors with efi live also has a air dog fuel system. What are the chances the head lifted with the 625's? I'm thinking slim to non. Ill probably pull cups tomorrow after work.

Thanks for any input
Tim

Well to check out the injectors you are gonna have to pull the heads anyway, so it's like a 2 for 1.......

Well to check out the injectors you are gonna have to pull the heads anyway, so it's like a 2 for 1.......

you dont have to pull heads to check injectors or cups. i have the tool to remove the cups.

two ways to check for leaks with heads on.

1.pull all 8 glow plugs and pressureize coolant system over night. have someone tap key and check for a cylinder to spit coolant.

2. pull valve covers and remove rockers, pressureize each cylinder 1 at a time with shop air and check for bubbles in coolant system.

first time I've heard of arp's washers causing a leak. might want to check the source on that

Did you reseal the injector cups when the heads were off? If not then that I'd say is you issue. Also reusing stock washers on ARP studs??? The factory head bolt is a captured washer design, so getting the washers off would not be enjoyable. I've installed many ARP stud kits with their supplied washers and never had an issue. The torque procedure you used for 625's was correct so I don't see and issue there. Did you have the head checked for flatness before reinstalling?

update on issue.

brand new water pump failed. the prop came loose from the shaft. i could spin it freely,wiped out the water pump housing. new water pump and housing and all is good.

i resealed the cups when heads were off,used green loctite heads were checked and machined

as for arp washers causing a leak it was the first i heard also. cutomer was told by a engine builder to use the stockers. 2 cut off wheels later all the washers were off,then had to drill centers out cause their too small. for what its worth i think the stock washers had a better fit. the arps were smaller in diam. beleive sorce was socal diesel on the arp leak issue.