LB7 issues.

overfueledpsd

its stock I promise
Hey guys i have a 2001 lb7. Last week i was pulling out of a parking lot and the truck started missing bad and pouring white smoke out the exhaust. I didnt know what to think so i had it towed to our shop and pulled it apart. Everything looked great the injectors were just replaced less than a year ago and have about 40,000 miles on them now. So after not finding anything i reassembled without the valve covers and started the truck ran perfect no issues. So i put it back together thinking maybe it had a bad wiring connection or something. Drove the truck for the weekend which included taking it to the track sunday. Truck ran great layed down some of the fastest passes yet. Now on to tuesday. on the way to class i noticed a ticking noise from under the valve cover figured maybe i didnt get a valve adjusted right. Figured i would do it when i got home but on the way home it did the same thing as before a lot of white smoke and missing.

According to efi live:
1 injector in at +15 which is wide open and 2 more are at -7.

What doesnt make sense is that the truck did it, i pulled it apart and drove it for probably another 600 miles plus 3 passes at the track and then all the sudden did it again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Bryan

where did you get the injectors from? Were they NEW BOSCH injectors or some kind of reman?

i would crack the valve covers again and look for any wear on the electrical connections coming from the injectors. Maybe one has some bare wire showing. An injector stuck wide open will cause the popping/missing and pour white smoke, its just a matter of figuring out what is causing it to stick open. Could be the injector itself or a wire problem.

Try This****, its cheap, easy, and quick and fixs weird injector issues sometimes:

Subject:Cleaning Diesel Engine Fuel Injectors

Models:2001-2010 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado
2001-2010 GMC Savana, Sierra, Topkick
Equipped with the 6.6L diesel engines RPO code LB7 LBZ LLY and LMM

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIP4727. The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

A dealer may encounter a customer concern of rough running, P0191, or a crank no start.
Poor fuel quality may have induced the rough running, P0191, or no start. A dealer may notice the vehicle has one or more cylinders with the injector balance rates out of specification, a DTC P0191, or a crank no start. When diagnosing a crank no start condition it is possible the injector pintles are stuck closed. A no start with clogged injectors will have sufficient pressure in the fuel rail when the engine is cranked. Cranking pressure will typically be around 4000-5000 psi or 27-34 MPA during a no start due to stuck or clogged injectors.
Recommendation/Instructions:

If a dealer encounters a vehicle with a rough running (high injector balance rate), a P0191, or a no start with sufficient pressure in the fuel rail, cleaning injectors may alleviate the condition.
Injector cleanings are only suggested when the dealer has found fuel contamination or suspects fuel contamination.
1. Clean injectors if injector balance rates are not within +4 mm³ and -6.9 mm³. Cleaning the injectors may free up a sticking pintle or clean the residue left by poor fuel.
2. Clean injectors if the engine is a no start, and the vehicle has sufficient pressure in the fuel rail to start. Cranking fuel rail pressure when all 8 injectors are clogged is approximately 4000-5000 psi or 27-34 MPA.
3. Clean injectors if P0191 has set due to a slow fuel rail pressure (FRP) decay rate. P0191 may set due to an accumulated but harmless varnish build-up on the fuel injectors. If servicing a 2006-2008 model year vehicle please see the newest version of bulletin 09-06-04-022 for P0191 ECM calibration information.

Injector Cleaning Procedure:

********To clean the injectors the dealer will be using a mixture of GM Upper Engine Fuel Injector Cleaner p/n 88861802 (88861804 in Canada) and diesel fuel. The cleaner will be connected at the rear of engine fuel line quick disconnects. Use an approved one gallon diesel fuel can for this process. Two fuel lines (also approved for use with diesel fuel) will be needed. Remove the quick disconnects at the rear of the engine. Install the two rubber fuel lines in the place of the fuel suction and return lines. Make sure these hoses are long enough to reach the fuel can sitting safely on the floor next to the vehicle. Use 1/2 gallon of fresh clean number 2 diesel fuel (no bio-diesel) and 13 ounces of GM Upper Engine Fuel Injector Cleaner to complete this process.
Run the engine until the complete mixture has been cycled through the engine.
With a no start condition, try to start the engine multiple times until the mixture starts to flow through the system. Make sure not to overheat the starter during this process. Let the starter cool down between each engagement.

Note: If a heavy concentration of debris or contaminates quickly fills the fuel can (from the return side of the fuel system) do not continue to cycle it through the system. Any contaminated fuel removed from the vehicle will need to be disposed of following city and/or state guidelines.
Evaluate the customer concern after the injector cleaning process has been completed.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Or here's an easy step by step to follow if you dont wanna read all that

First go to your gm dealer and buy the GM upper engine fuel injector cleaner p/n 88861802, about 15 bucks. This CAN NOT be run through the fuel tank. To run this cleaner you have to use the quick disconnects at the rear of the engine.

1. Remove the quick disconnects at the rear of the engine, you will need a set of quick disconnect line tools. the return line is 3/8 and the suction line is 1/2.

2. Once lines are disconnected, install rubber fuel hose to the lines with hose clamps. You will need 3/8 hose and 1/2, about 5 ft of each.

3. use 1/2 gallon of clean diesel fuel and mix 13 oz. of the injector cleaner in a container (I used an old rotella 1 gal. bottle)

4. put both the return and suction lines into the container and place container out of the way of engine. (sat mine on a step ladder next to truck). you can set it on the floor but will need about 8-10 ft of hose.

5. start the engine, check for leaks. run all of the the diesel fuel in the container out, will take time. (mine sat at idle for 1.5 hours). if the truck dies, no big deal, just prime it once you reconnect the fuel lines.

6. once fuel is gone, reconnect the fuel lines, should hear a snap. and done. make sure to check for leaks when finished.

hope this helps some people. my balance rates are much better now, and the engine runs much smoother. maybe try this first if you think you have an injector going bad.

my thoughts first is to check and see if the is any continuity between the injector harness and the valve cover just to see if there is a wiring issue. Im also going to borrow a ficm from a friend of mine just to rule out another possibilite. If none of this solves the issue im going to try what you just posted.

check you fuel filter before you do anything, if its full of dirt and debris id say thats your problem. Sounds like you have a good game plan tho

I have filters on the frame and a in cab fuel pressure gauge. never dropped pressure and already checked both filters for anything out of the ordinary.

I have a truck doing something very similar, keep us updated on what you find

The truck finally threw a code. P0302 which is a cylinder 2 misfire code. Im going to replace that injector and go from there. I went through all the wiring and tested everything with a multimeter. Hopefully this fixes it. Ill know more by the end of the week.

Just a little update on this i got the truck back on the road and it wasnt a bad injector. I had a pushrod that had failed.
400902_441193915924190_1255363413_n.jpg