leaf springs

meloyelo7337

rear leaf springs flattned out with 1.5 tons (alittle less) of dirt in the bed. got the truck used so my question is can the springs get worn out like an elastic band (like the ones that hold your tighty whites up)...after some use they get fagged out and come back to norm.
hope i worded all that right.
would an add a leaf be good or new shocks or is that normal
do you guys carry more

My 06 flatens out also with a few ton in but once it hits that point it stays pretty solid, I plan an add a leaf though as my last truck had them and loved it for hauling and towing.

Gitchew some air bags n' be done with it. Leave em empty and it'll ride like always. Pump em up when you load the bed so she sets level. It'll ride better loaded.

meloyelo7337 said:
rear leaf springs flattned out with 1.5 tons (alittle less) of dirt in the bed. got the truck used so my question is can the springs get worn out like an elastic band (like the ones that hold your tighty whites up)...after some use they get fagged out and come back to norm.
hope i worded all that right.
would an add a leaf be good or new shocks or is that normal
do you guys carry more

Yes, springs can weaken over time...they can only be flexed so many times before they actually break...

Manual trans are harder on springs (rear leaves) than autos because they get flexed into a "S" shape with every acceleration during a gear change.

My 04.5 springs are pretty weak...I added airbags to compensate for the loss of around 1 inch of ride height and the loss of load carrying capacity.

steved

ok thanks
i will look in to the bags (i guess i will need a compressor or air tank on board)
but if the leafs are cheap and easy to get i might end up there....i really hate that flaten out though (get kind of scared)

If it were me, I'd be looking at a low-mile set out of a truck that someone removed the rear leaves from to install a lift...

steved

meloyelo7337 said:
STEVE....i really do not understand what youa re talking about ..... for a lift?

No, no, no...find someone installing a lift (where they need to replace the rear spring packs) and buy THEIR stock springs for YOUR truck...

Make sense now??

I have done this a lot of times with both my dad's 99 and my 99...his 5spd is a spring eater, and my 99 had soft springs like your's...I bought a low-mileage set of rear springs for under $100 before.

steved

steve....gottcha. i will keep my ears to the ground, but i have never been good and being in the right place at the right time.